Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to have checked

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014 | 03:07 PM
stircrazy
|
Cruiser
Default what to have checked

So I got run into yesterday, I was stopped about 10 feet behind a midsized suv at a stop sign, and all of a sudden he puts it into reverse and starts backing up. I had the horn blasting and I was trying to push backwards, but in the end he hit me, and skidded the bike back 3 or 4 feet.

the front fender was folded under into the tire and 3 hours later me and the tow truck driver managed to get it bent up off the tire enough for me to finish my trip home, although I was driving 50 in a 75 zone for 3 hours.

so right now for sure it needs a new fender, trim and light, engine guard as the chrome was scratched when it went over after we got the front tire out from under the suv bumper. it had a slight moaning/whining sound now just over 50 mph, and to me it seams to be responding more to defects in the road, and there is a slight cut in the tire about 4" long where the fender went against it

so I am thinking that I need to get them to check the front forks, the neck, steering head, front wheel bearings, and front tire. am I missing anything?

Steve

Old 07-13-2014 | 07:36 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

I would have them check the frame, specificallyy the frame neck, and the tab where the crash bar bolts to the frame and the triple trees

Old 07-13-2014 | 11:28 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

HD front ends are far from fragile. It takes a hellova hit to bend a HD frame. So I really seriously doubt that there is any frame or fork damage. Sure, have it all checked out and make the careless dummy's ins company pay. Mak'em give you a new wheel with bearings and all.

Old 07-13-2014 | 11:45 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bingee
It takes a hellova hit to bend a HD frame.
Not so.

A. Yes they are tough.
B. ONE little ding in the wrong spot, and the frame is considered unsalvageable .
C. A scrap frame is a $10,000 repair, and can only be done at a HD shop, because a new frame is made with the original VIN.
D. Once you know about that little ding, you are required by law to disclose upon sale.

E. I wish I did not know all of this.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 07-13-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2014 | 12:27 AM
stircrazy
|
Cruiser

so, I got the bike in on Saturday, they are going to give it a inspection and call me. I did my own inspection the night before and noticed a few things. for some reason my pictures aren't working so I'll have to figure that out and post some.

anyways both front forks have gouges in the back. so it looks like the forks were flexed, and for some reason there has been oil leaking under the bike ever since the accident.

I made sure to point those out when I took it in and also mentioned that there needs to be a new front tire and front wheel bearings for sure and the rest they can find on the inspection then I'll go over it with them and point out anything they missed.

Steve

Last edited by stircrazy; 07-21-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2014 | 12:42 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain

We're you in gear? Did rear wheel stay put while the drive gear was torqued? How about the primary chain and tensioner? Clutch?

Old 07-21-2014 | 12:44 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain

Also, what was the drivers reason for backing up? Malicious? File charges? I think some of these motorists need a good ole helping of wake da fuq up!

Old 07-21-2014 | 12:50 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Bad link.

Old 07-21-2014 | 01:02 AM
stircrazy
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ibfuelish
We're you in gear? Did rear wheel stay put while the drive gear was torqued? How about the primary chain and tensioner? Clutch?
I was stopped so I had the clutch in, but I can't remember if the engine was still running or if I shut it off. so there is a possibility that I let the clutch out after I was being skidded back. the impact was enough to lift the rear tire off the ground.

wasn't Malicious, new immigrants who got confused on which way to turn and were going to go back to the rest stop and ask directions, just didn't look behind them first. they did get the ticket for backing when unsafe to do so, which puts the accident 100% there fault and the insurance company is fixing the bike.

Steve

Last edited by stircrazy; 07-21-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2014 | 09:59 AM
stircrazy
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Bad link.
naa the files were to big, resized them now they work.

here is the skid mark showing how far the bike was pushed back

here is the damage on the back of the forks, (same for the other side also)

Steve