Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Stryfe8822
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another exhaust question.

I just bought a 2008 Electra Glide Standard and I am looking into putting exhaust on the bike. I really want a dual exhaust not a 2 into 1. So anyways I was think about putting Rinehart 4in true duals and a arlen ness stage 1 are cleaner with a tune. I went to my local Harley mechanic and told them what I was interested in doing and mechanic told me that Rinehart 4in exhaust would rob the bike of low end torque and does not start making torque until after 3000 rpms and basically told me it was not worth it. When I asked what he recommended he didn't have any recommendations he mentioned it was not worth putting those mods on the bike because it would only make like 7hp. Is this true? If it is true is there an exhaust out there, besides a 2 into 1, that will make more then 7hp with an air cleaner?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:31 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

a "stage 1" will give you 7 to 10 horsepower.
essentially what you are doing in increasing the flow of air into and exhaust out of the motor by defeating noise emissions.

further gains are made with mechanical modifications- cams, headwork, increased displacement for example.

I have a question about your phrasing- you say 'dual exhaust'- your bike has dual exhaust as stock... do you want "true duals" which is separate exhaust header pipe and muffler for each cylinder?
If so, that would jibe with the advice you got.
google "scavenging" and you'll see why/how connected header pipes contribute to higher flow and more power

Old 07-12-2014, 12:33 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

First, please go look up "paragraph" in the dictionary... hard for my aging eyes.

Second, find a REAL tuner, stay away from the dealers. The more I read, the worse it seems those guys are getting.

I'm unclear exactly what you're asking.
The term "slipons" is a common term for mufflers.
Rinehart 4" are mufflers.

The term "true duals" is what is said for head pipes that do not have a crossover. Meaning, a single pipe coming from the head to the muffler, not intermingling with the other cylinder.

When you say Rinehart 4" true duals, are you talking an entire exhaust system, or mufflers?

Just changing mufflers will not gain you much, HP or TQ wise, but sound wise, yes.

We woke my best friend's '07 Ultra up with a set of Bub7 True Duals, SE AC, K&N filter and TTS... I don't have numbers, but the assdyno tells it's there.

My setup is RUSH Racing ceramic true duals. 2 independent pipes, and Rush Big Louie 4" mufflers. I went with the SE air cleaner, K&N element, and PowerVision2 tuner.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I've just answered another post regarding TDs. Regardless of what brand, if you are looking at using them you will be sacrificing low/mid range torque. I have used both TDs and the 2-into-1 you see in my sig pic and had the bike set up for both on the dyno, by the same shop. Headline numbers for both were similar, but low/mid range torque with my Supermeg is as much as 15% better, also the engine is much smoother running and makes the bike a great deal nicer to ride. I prefer function over style - I really love my 2-into-1 now!