Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision complicated???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 PM
JDSporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Vision complicated???

Just about ready to pull the plug and buy a power vision and get rid of my Vieds for my 2012 Street Glide. How confusing is the power vision to operate? Is it difficult to install? Don't really want something that is very confusing. Had Vieds for a year now, want to try something different. Heard lot of good things on about power vision.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

The Power Vision Is very easy to use . If you buy from Fuel Moto or Dynojet the support is great . As for install could not be easier it just plugs in . I have had mine for over a year and a half and like it a lot . I have never mounted it to the bike just use it to set things and put it back in the box .

Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out this link to something I put together to try to answer a lot of the PV newbie questions. IMO, if this looks too complicated, then PV isn't for you.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:27 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

The power vision is very straight forward to use as long as you are working with a normal routine set up. More complicated modifications either require a dyno tune or an additional investment for wide band sensors.

If you go big (120r or SS 124) you will find maps limited and the need for a dyno or you will need to swap out tuners to a thundermax.

I have a PV and it worked great until I went big. The PV can be tuned for big but really requires a dyno or wide band sensors to get the tune correct.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts
Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 PM
pulsar1
Novice
Default Power vision

I have had my PV for about a year. It's easy to install. I keep my cord plugged into the bike full time but when not in use I coil it by the frame neck and zip tie it. I have a handle bar mount as well. When on a long trip it's interesting to monitor the MPG and engine temp real time. I used maps from fuel moto and a number of tune runs to dial the bike in, but still recommend a good dyno tune. My HP went from 78 to 96 when dyno tuned so doing auto tune runs will yield good results, but to get the best optimized results you will need a good dyno tune.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:18 PM
SR90
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine about 7 months now. The tune I got from fuel moto was rich, I smelled gas often and acceleration from a stop light was less than ideal, otherwise it seemed to run OK. I had also installed true duals and cams at the same time so was hard to make an apples to apples comparison. (The tune took into account all my mods) I finally got around to trying auto tune recently and wish I had done it sooner, very noticeable improvement all around. Still feel I need a few more sessions. For my auto tune runs, it means 150-200 mile rides where you can experience all the ranges you might ride in. With respect to previous poster I can't see how a 20 minute auto tune can yield helpful data.

Its super easy to install. I ran the cable under the tank console and have a mount on the handlebars. I'm happy with the PV, no regrets.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

My input is going to gain against the stream slightly. Maybe quite a bit...

I have a PV that was supplied by Fuel Moto. Let me state emphatically, that the customer care that Fuel Moto does and is willing to supply is second to none. They have taken me as far as they can possibly take me working with the auto tune maps that I have sent into them for tweaking, and fine tuning. What I have after a lot of effort is okay, but not "fine tuned", and that's not their fault. They can only do so much with data that's being sent to them from 2000 miles away. There's no substitute for putting a bike on a Dynojet dynamometer with a certified tuner.

Therein lies my problem. After calling Dynojet earlier this week, it turns out that the nearest certified tuner for the PV, which is BEST done on a Dynojet 250i, is in Reno, NV. Okay....I can do the 4.5-5 hour drive to get this baby finely tuned in before I throw more $$$ in hardware to extract from the engine what I though would not be so difficult given what I've done thus far. When I called the "certified tuner" (and he certainly spoke like he was) in Reno, they informed me that they were not ready to set an appointment for me to bring my bike in. The reason being was/is that the Dynojet dynamometer 250i isn't handling the software from Dynojet for the PV as smoothly as they would have hoped for by this time. In fact the manager stated that Dynojet is sending Band-Aid software updates on a daily basis for the PV for this dynamometer, and they still don't have the software foundation to adequately tune bikes with the PV on this latest dynamometer. I want also to close this paragraph by clearly stating that I am not naming the tuner or the Indy in Reno intentionally. The guy that I spoke with wants the business! And he would have booked me immediately if he had the confidence that he could do the right job. He was being forthright with me about the weak link between the Dynojet dynamometer and the PV, which is their software. While it's easy to use at a basic level with some studying by dummies like me, the ease disappears the more complicated you want to get with it; and you can get complicated with it. For me, there's still NO substitute for a good tune at the hands of a good tuner. I am one that wants to "know" only at a basic level, after the tuner has been fully dialed in.

My contact said that he would call me as soon as he felt that they could provide competent tuning service for the PV. I went on to ask about the PCV. He said that while it's not as comprehensive as a PV, that it was extremely easy to tune and has been bullet proof in that regard.

I am not yet giving up on my PV. It's too soon, but I was shocked to hear the nearest certified tuner to me for PV tell me yesterday that the PV is too new, and the software for tuning it on the 250i is still problematic.

If the OP wants something that a canned map will get him "close enough", then go for it, and Fuel Moto is the only vendor that I'd recommend using at this point; I'm close after their help combined with a number of auto tune runs. I think that the PV has GREAT potential. But if he wants maximum extraction that can only come in most cases from a real time tune, and he wants it NOW, look at the PCV.

You auto tune experts, feel free to flame away....I can handle it. I can also handle the cost of a competent tuner doing the finishing touches on my PV, and I can't get that at this time, which is slightly disheartening. But I believe it's only a short term irritation, though an irritation nonetheless. My nearest "certified PV tuner" didn't have an end date for Dynojet getting their software issues sorted out. I'm now in a holding pattern....

Last edited by gipper; 07-10-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by rwt
Check out this link to something I put together to try to answer a lot of the PV newbie questions. IMO, if this looks too complicated, then PV isn't for you.
very good info.

I spoke to a fellow that has a NEW Dynojet in my area. Dynojet is running the new Dyno with WinPep version 8 now.

Last edited by mgmmgm; 07-10-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
My input is going to gain against the stream slightly. Maybe quite a bit...

I have a PV that was supplied by Fuel Moto. Let me state emphatically, that the customer care that Fuel Moto does and is willing to supply is second to none. They have taken me as far as they can possibly take me working with the auto tune maps that I have sent into them for tweaking, and fine tuning. What I have after a lot of effort is okay, but not "fine tuned", and that's not their fault. They can only do so much with data that's being sent to them from 2000 miles away. There's no substitute for putting a bike on a Dynojet dynamometer with a certified tuner.

Therein lies my problem. After calling Dynojet earlier this week, it turns out that the nearest certified tuner for the PV, which is BEST done on a Dynojet 250i, is in Reno, NV. Okay....I can do the 4.5-5 hour drive to get this baby finely tuned in before I throw more $$$ in hardware to extract from the engine what I though would not be so difficult given what I've done thus far. When I called the "certified tuner" (and he certainly spoke like he was) in Reno, they informed me that they were not ready to set an appointment for me to bring my bike in. The reason being was/is that the Dynojet dynamometer 250i isn't handling the software from Dynojet for the PV as smoothly as they would have hoped for by this time. In fact the manager stated that Dynojet is sending Band-Aid software updates on a daily basis for the PV for this dynamometer, and they still don't have the software foundation to adequately tune bikes with the PV on this latest dynamometer. I want also to close this paragraph by clearly stating that I am not naming the tuner or the Indy in Reno intentionally. The guy that I spoke with wants the business! And he would have booked me immediately if he had the confidence that he could do the right job. He was being forthright with me about the weak link between the Dynojet dynamometer and the PV, which is their software. While it's easy to use at a basic level with some studying by dummies like me, the ease disappears the more complicated you want to get with it; and you can get complicated with it. For me, there's still NO substitute for a good tune at the hands of a good tuner. I am one that wants to "know" only at a basic level, after the tuner has been fully dialed in.

My contact said that he would call me as soon as he felt that they could provide competent tuning service for the PV. I went on to ask about the PCV. He said that while it's not as comprehensive as a PV, that it was extremely easy to tune and has been bullet proof in that regard.

I am not yet giving up on my PV. It's too soon, but I was shocked to hear the nearest certified tuner to me for PV tell me yesterday that the PV is too new, and the software for tuning it on the 250i is still problematic.

If the OP wants something that a canned map will get him "close enough", then go for it, and Fuel Moto is the only vendor that I'd recommend using at this point; I'm close after their help combined with a number of auto tune runs. I think that the PV has GREAT potential. But if he wants maximum extraction that can only come in most cases from a real time tune, and he wants it NOW, look at the PCV.

You auto tune experts, feel free to flame away....I can handle it. I can also handle the cost of a competent tuner doing the finishing touches on my PV, and I can't get that at this time, which is slightly disheartening. But I believe it's only a short term irritation, though an irritation nonetheless. My nearest "certified PV tuner" didn't have an end date for Dynojet getting their software issues sorted out. I'm now in a holding pattern....
Pretty sure I know the tuner you are speaking of. You won't be disappointed. Great engine builder as well.

Quick Reply: Power Vision complicated???