Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercom issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:41 AM
daveMD2011
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercom issues

Here's the latest malfunction on my Harley and I am wondering how common it is. The intercom works one ride and fails on another. To be brief, here are the issues: Sometimes the driver gets no sidetone, start the bike and it completely does not operate, Loud static comes in occasionally, volume seems to fluctuate. None of this has any impact on radio or CD operation in the headset.

Just returned from a ride thru the Smokys and it really sucked losing comm. It happens with 4 different helmets, 1 HD headset and 3 J&M Elite headsets. I called the dealer and they are already asking if the bike got wet. SERIOUSLY?! A touring bike should have malfunctions if it gets wet?

I broke down the other day when the second voltage regulator crapped out, so I guess it'll go back in the shop for the intercom--issue number 6 in 2 years.

Anybody have any experience with intercom problems and if so, what was the outcome?

Thanks

Old 07-10-2014, 07:15 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 327 Likes on 223 Posts

Not trying to be an *** but have you messed with the VOX reason I ask is after I put the true duals on my bike that are much louder than stock i had the same kind of issue and had to mess with the vox to find that fine line where I still had intercom but didn't get the static and even now every once in a while if I am in a cross wind it will set it off. There are time when it is doing that I actually shut it off.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:09 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just turn the VOX all the way off on mine and use push to talk buttons.I could never get the vox to the point where it worked and wouldn't come on every time I accelerated or rolled past a semi.Also the head unit has to be on intercom to make any adjustments to the intercom but I have found the intercom occasionally turned all the way down for no apparent reason.Also the CB which I never use will really mess up the intercom if the squelch is not right I just leave it off as well.And last but not least the Harley headsets have two connections that can get dirty and or loose and that's usually where I start when the intercom quits working.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 AM
daveMD2011
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks fellers. I've tried all the above and that CB issue is a fact jack. No, mine just decides not to work. It did not work for a morning at all but after getting gas and restarting, worked great for most of a day, then took a dump. I really do love the bike, but these issues are taking a toll.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:25 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife has the most problems with her headset.I use mine literally every day on the ride into work and it works fine. About every other time we go for a ride hers has problems which are quickly corrected by unplugging and re-plugging in the headset. I think that the daily disconnecting and re connecting keeps mine clean where the lack of use allows hers to gum up.Honestly though it sounds like you've got a short somewhere.