Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Tour pak Lock...useless???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014 | 11:43 AM
Streetrunner
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Detachable Tour pak Lock...useless???

I recently installed a detachable tour pak kit on my EG. While I was at it I figured I would spend an additional $60 or $70 for the locking kit. I read the directions and the first step is to remove the old latches and move the left or right stock latch to the opposite side. This will reverse the way it latches. The reversal is done so that when you install one locking latch there will be easy access with the key to lock and unlock. First of all I'm a little skeptical of the reversed latches holding the tour pak securely on the bike since they were originally designed to hold in the opposite direction BUT here is my real issue:
The locking latch is attached with one screw that is very accessible when the tour pak is on the bike. All one has to do is remove the screw and off comes the tour pak. The lock means nothing because the entire latch is detached from the tour pak bracket.
Am I missing something here? I have thought about this for a while thinking this can't be right but I keep coming up with the same answer.

Old 07-07-2014 | 12:24 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain

I have the locking kit on my solo T Pak rack for my 09 FLHP and it has been a while since I installed it however I believe I followed the instructions. In doing so I only needed to remove the existing right latch and replace it with the locking version (this varies by rack you are locking). In doing so, the locking latch functions in exactly the same way as what was replaced.

Here is a photo of what I am talking about:

You can just see the locking mechanism sticking up. Sorry about how dark this photo is...

Old 07-07-2014 | 12:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

the "key" is to make it obvious to a thief that'll it'll take longer...and they'll move on to an easier mark.

I will run a cable type lock through the T/P mount and any bags ( like T bag) when touring.

I ran into a rider at a gas station who, while he was inside paying, had all his bags taken from his bike.
he was waiting for the cops to show up.

mike

Old 07-07-2014 | 12:52 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
The locking latch is attached with one screw that is very accessible when the tour pak is on the bike. All one has to do is remove the screw and off comes the tour pak. The lock means nothing because the entire latch is detached from the tour pak bracket.
Am I missing something here? I have thought about this for a while thinking this can't be right but I keep coming up with the same answer.
You would have to take the docking point off as well, so it's really two screws.

Old 07-07-2014 | 01:04 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain

Originally Posted by craigffb
You would have to take the docking point off as well, so it's really two screws.
I missed the 2nd part of the OPs concern...

I think you are correct here in that both the locking latch and docking point could come off. I think that you can't remove the docking point barrel when something is latched. I will be looking at this before my trip to Lake Tahoe.

If the docking point barrel can be removed, one could further deter the thief with one of the Brukus-style security screws in the docking point and/or the latch.

Old 07-07-2014 | 01:20 PM
Av8rPaul
Tourer

I went to unlock mine the other day and with not much effort at all busted the little pin off, spring shot out, felt stupid. Pretty much in that order.

Old 07-07-2014 | 01:31 PM
Crusader45
Cruiser

Just installed mine, bought the chrome locking kit, after inspection I realized that only the right side is meant to be locked. Both locks that come in the kit are identical. For someone to take it off they would need the correct size allen wrench, still a small deterrent but if someone want's it they will get it. Now I need to order the regular latch in chrome so both sides match.

Old 07-07-2014 | 01:34 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior

Even the best lock is only to keep an honest person honest...

Old 07-07-2014 | 01:44 PM
Streetrunner
|
Outstanding HDF Member

In your pic in your above post, if the back of the tour pak is towards the left you have the latch on backwards. The key mechanism should face you ax you are locking at the rear of the bike. This will provide easy access to lock and unlock.

Once that one screw is removed the latch becomes severed from the bracket. It's that simple.

Old 07-07-2014 | 01:44 PM
Streetrunner
|
Outstanding HDF Member

In your pic in your above post, if the back of the tour pak is towards the left you have the latch on backwards. The key mechanism should face you ax you are locking at the rear of the bike. This will provide easy access to lock and unlock.

Once that one screw is removed the latch becomes severed from the bracket. It's that simple.

Quick Reply: Detachable Tour pak Lock...useless???