Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Tour pak Lock...useless???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014 | 01:51 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
In your pic in your above post, if the back of the tour pak is towards the left you have the latch on backwards. The key mechanism should face you ax you are locking at the rear of the bike. This will provide easy access to lock and unlock.

Once that one screw is removed the latch becomes severed from the bracket. It's that simple.

He has it on right. Once the screw is removed the lock is still locked around the docking point. No way to get it off unless you take the screw out of the docking point and remove it. You know the latch is on a threaded pin right? It's not just gonna flop around with the screw out. Did you take one off/on yet?

Last edited by craigffb; 07-07-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2014 | 02:03 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

Mine broke after removing the tourpak 3 or 4 times. Useless waste of money.

Old 07-07-2014 | 02:51 PM
Streetrunner
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by craigffb
He has it on right. Once the screw is removed the lock is still locked around the docking point. No way to get it off unless you take the screw out of the docking point and remove it. You know the latch is on a threaded pin right? It's not just gonna flop around with the screw out. Did you take one off/on yet?
I don't have a pin holding the latch on just the screw and once the screw is removed the bracket of the tour pack will just slide away because the latch is no longer attached to the tour pak it is just hanging around the docking point.

Old 07-07-2014 | 03:15 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't have a pin holding the latch on just the screw and once the screw is removed the bracket of the tour pack will just slide away because the latch is no longer attached to the tour pak it is just hanging around the docking point.
Is it an aftermarket rack?

Old 07-07-2014 | 04:29 PM
Streetrunner
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by craigffb
Is it an aftermarket rack?
Its a HD quick detach kit that also provides antennae relocation hardware.

Old 07-07-2014 | 04:48 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
Even the best lock is only to keep an honest person honest...
gee, and I thought it was honesty that kept an honest person honest... seriously... you can leave a wallet full of cash on the seat of the bike and an honest won't take it... why? not because of any locks.... because he's honest.

Old 07-07-2014 | 05:38 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Its a HD quick detach kit that also provides antennae relocation hardware.
Look at part #3 in the PDF for just the detachable rack. These are the pivot pins that keep the locks from flopping around without the screw. If you don't have these there is a problem with the rack.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04756.pdf

Old 07-07-2014 | 06:21 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
gee, and I thought it was honesty that kept an honest person honest... seriously... you can leave a wallet full of cash on the seat of the bike and an honest won't take it... why? not because of any locks.... because he's honest.

You seem to have missed the point... while a lock is useless against an honest person as it is not needed because he/she is honest... it is equally ineffective against a criminal... it may slow them down a bit but it will not stop them.

Old 07-07-2014 | 06:35 PM
Milwaukeebuddy
Tourer

The touring model latch is completely exposed whereas on the Heritage Softail, the latch is blocked from view (and wrenches) by the saddlebag. So apparently this locking latch works better on some models.

But the quick grab and go would be eliminated..

Old 07-07-2014 | 07:12 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

same thing happened to me -- not worth the money
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul
I went to unlock mine the other day and with not much effort at all busted the little pin off, spring shot out, felt stupid. Pretty much in that order.

Quick Reply: Detachable Tour pak Lock...useless???