Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pandora radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

My XM on my 14 limited is useless. I could be going down an open highway and pass a tree and it goes out.
I jailbreak my iPhone and use pandora downloader now. I have a 64gig 5s so I just sat one night and downloaded about 1,000 songs and use that.
I seriously think HD needs to look at the 2014 XM module though, My older module (2012) was never this bad. My guess is there needs to be a buffer in this new boom system. Possibly a firmware update or a redesigned module with a built in 10 sec buffer. The signal is so compressed anymore, it wouldn't take much to accomplish that.
Smitty

Old 07-07-2014, 04:29 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My biggest beef with satellite radio is the overall sound quality is not all that great for what it costs. When the trial was up on my Ford, I didn't even think twice to renew it. I will also use a flash drive with ~1000 songs on shuffle. I think there are many better options especially on newer bikes with bluetooth and USB capabilities.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by mwegryn
I use Pandora and iTunes radio. They work great, but it really depends on your signal. If you lose strength it can start to rebuffer pretty frequently.
Originally Posted by Smittyjf
My XM on my 14 limited is useless. I could be going down an open highway and pass a tree and it goes out.
When we're riding out in the sticks usually lose the Pandora due to lack of cell service then on the same hand all the tree cover in the sticks knocks out the XM. So the lesser of two evils I guess.

Originally Posted by mwegryn
My biggest beef with satellite radio is the overall sound quality is not all that great for what it costs.
Not only is the quality suspect but so is the volume. It's not as bad since I switched from the HD module to the Sony unit.

I may dump the XM after the season as well.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 PM
RushKing14
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Pandora all the time when riding. I don't know how much data is uses as I don't have to worry about that, but it is rare that I use more than 300 - 500 megs a month.

I have my iPhone jailbroken and I downloaded a hack that gives me no commercials, and unlimited skips just like the paid version.

Once in a while when in a remote location it might take a bit for the next song to start but that is rare.

For times when I don't want to use Pandora, I have around 2300 songs on my phone (about a week's worth running 24 hours a day without hearing the same song) and use playlists so I am never without tunes when riding unless I choose to be.

IMHO, Pandora rocks.

Last edited by RushKing14; 07-07-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 PM
jrdfatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I am waiting for the iPhone 6 so I am going to keep xm through this season. Next year xm is off and going with pandora or what ever. That works out better for me me anyway, momma is a country music fan where I am classic rock with some Motown mixed in. The shuffle between genre will be cool, a little Toby Keith goes a long way with me. Lol

Old 07-07-2014, 07:33 PM
hoops928
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Pandora all the time, service in my area is good, when I lose it I just hit the CD. I have 3 gig of data, shared with three phones,with my daughter on one, and have not noticed a big data hit.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 AM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Slacker Radio is the deal for me.
I went $3.99 per month for premium, no commercials or ads, unlimited skips, many stations or download all you want wifi free - store on your phone - listen free anywhere. I have never went over 2 GB per month and use it a lot. I wifi it at home to my stereo all the time.
XM really started to suck, for me too.
I went with the 3.99/ month also. How do you store to phone?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
jkane13
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife upgraded to a Galaxy S5 and took her old S3 and turned everything off. Then she loaded about 6 hours of music on it. She plays it on shuffle on her bike.

One thing to keep in mind about Pandora, or any other data service, is your phone provider. If they have crappy coverage, you may not be as happy as some of us are who have good coverage companies. I have US Cellular in the Midwest, and I believe they have the best coverage. My wife had Verizon and ATT over the years. Now we both have US Cellular because they work more places we go than any of the others. US Cellular also offers free roaming. That is why their coverage is so good. I may go down to 1X at times when roaming, but that is enough to play Pandora in most places.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:30 PM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I srarted using Pandora a few months ago.

Never lost service.

Doesnt use any data at all;I`m allowed 2gb a month,and I dont even use half a gb.

This is using it 1 hour each day,and about 6-8 hours on the weekends.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:51 AM
hellbilly78
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just seen a commercial on tv the other day cant remember which cell provider it was for sure but im thinkin t mobile but they are not charging data for the music apps

Quick Reply: Pandora radio