Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM vs Thundermax Autotuners

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Street Glide 08
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM vs Thundermax Autotuners

I had an issue come up on my 08 Street Glide. The reserve fuel indicator on the gauge has stop showing up and my cruise control will turn off on its own every now and then. Both are not a real big deal, however, I took it to the HD dealer and was told that they could not check out this issue because I have an aftermarket autotuner on my bike. I have the thundermax autotuner. The tech told me that he didn't have a way to hook up to the ECM because the thundermax is both an autotuner and ECM. He told me I would need the stock ECM on my bike so he could attach and read the computer to see what my issues were. He said he thought I might have a bad tuner/ECM. So he told me it was like $350 + $85 labor to install the factory ECM on my bike. So he further tells me that since I have the stage 1 air filter and the true dual exhaust, I would also need the screamin eagle tuner so they could program the air filter and exhaust into the system. He told me that without it, it could burn a hole in my piston. I spoke with a friend of mine today that purchased a 13 Ultra Limited and had the Stage 1 system installed and the true dual exhaust system installed on it. He told me the dealer was able to "add" the upgrades to the ECM without the need of the additional tuner. The dealer told me the screamin eagle tuner would be an additional $450 + two hours labor to install it bringing the total to around $1000. Is there any truth to needing both or can the factory ECM be modified to allow the stage 1 and true duals to it. Thanks in advance..

Old 07-06-2014, 09:04 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

Before getting rid of the Thunder Max and putting another 1000 dollars into the bike, I would do one of two things.
You could go to the Thunder Max website and download the software for your module to a laptop for free. The read the installation instructions and the trouble shooting documents. Then you can connect to the T Max and see if it's an issue you can correct and it cost you nothing and you will have learned the basics of the device so you can change the base map if you make changes to the bike in the future.
Or you can see if there is an independent shop in your area that installs T Max's and let them see if it's a bad module. I have T Max's on two bikes. You already have a perfectly good tuner on the bike right now.

The following users liked this post:
2014sportsteriron883 (08-31-2016)
Old 07-06-2014, 09:38 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Glide 08
I had an issue come up on my 08 Street Glide. The reserve fuel indicator on the gauge has stop showing up and my cruise control will turn off on its own every now and then. Both are not a real big deal, however, I took it to the HD dealer and was told that they could not check out this issue because I have an aftermarket autotuner on my bike. I have the thundermax autotuner. The tech told me that he didn't have a way to hook up to the ECM because the thundermax is both an autotuner and ECM. He told me I would need the stock ECM on my bike so he could attach and read the computer to see what my issues were. He said he thought I might have a bad tuner/ECM. So he told me it was like $350 + $85 labor to install the factory ECM on my bike. So he further tells me that since I have the stage 1 air filter and the true dual exhaust, I would also need the screamin eagle tuner so they could program the air filter and exhaust into the system. He told me that without it, it could burn a hole in my piston. I spoke with a friend of mine today that purchased a 13 Ultra Limited and had the Stage 1 system installed and the true dual exhaust system installed on it. He told me the dealer was able to "add" the upgrades to the ECM without the need of the additional tuner. The dealer told me the screamin eagle tuner would be an additional $450 + two hours labor to install it bringing the total to around $1000. Is there any truth to needing both or can the factory ECM be modified to allow the stage 1 and true duals to it. Thanks in advance..
Upgrade the firmware on the tmax..then upgrade the software....problem solved

Last edited by dochawken; 07-06-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

That is why I do not buy replacement ECMs, like the Thundermax.

I would look to Thundermax for a fix, and not Harley. Harley isn't going to be able to fix what isn't theirs.

...I'll spare y'all the rant I typed, and deleted. LOL

Old 07-06-2014, 09:47 PM
Street Glide 08
Intermediate

Thanks guys for the suggestions. The Thunder Max was on the bike when I bought it and really know nothing about it other than what it does. The fuel reserve indicator and the cruise issue are the only issues I have with the bike. I'll have to see if I can locate a local shop that installs the Thunder Max and see if they can help me. I am not sure if I would have the technical skills to know what I was doing even if I downloaded to my laptop.
By the way, where would I find the updated firmware for the Thunder Max?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:23 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Zippersperformance.com for updates. You have an awesome product in the T-Max. I miss mine, I want it on my current bike but the Power Vision was a lot more affordable and suitable for my needs.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Street Glide 08
Intermediate

I researched their web site and found out how to reset my distance to empty feature. However, it requires using the original ECM and that's what I don't have (unless it's hidden somewhere on the bike that I don't know about). Any ideas?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Glide 08
Thanks guys for the suggestions. The Thunder Max was on the bike when I bought it and really know nothing about it other than what it does. The fuel reserve indicator and the cruise issue are the only issues I have with the bike. I'll have to see if I can locate a local shop that installs the Thunder Max and see if they can help me. I am not sure if I would have the technical skills to know what I was doing even if I downloaded to my laptop.
By the way, where would I find the updated firmware for the Thunder Max?
Go to their website periodically to upgrade your firmware and software...I have TMax on my 2012 RGC, it is by far the best product on the market...you already have the best...just upgrade...it is free!!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:09 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the cruise issue could be a bad brake switch- especially the front.
IF the controls have been removed without a shim ( as detailed in every shop manual since the 80's...) the front brake light switch will break- some guys have been able to fix with JB weld etc.

the cruise will also disengage if the throttle is rolled forward

any of those possible ?

- in a big picture way, what you have learned is that the dealer techs know the inside of a box- they cannot think outside the box and their training is limited to fairly stock late model bikes...try going in with an evo.
Some dealers won't work on bike more than 10 ( or other arbitrary number) years old.

for less money you can have a savvy Indy work on your bike- someone who didn;t like being kept "in a box" at a dealer

mike

Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 AM
Street Glide 08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the cruise issue could be a bad brake switch- especially the front.
IF the controls have been removed without a shim ( as detailed in every shop manual since the 80's...) the front brake light switch will break- some guys have been able to fix with JB weld etc.

the cruise will also disengage if the throttle is rolled forward

any of those possible ?

- in a big picture way, what you have learned is that the dealer techs know the inside of a box- they cannot think outside the box and their training is limited to fairly stock late model bikes...try going in with an evo.
Some dealers won't work on bike more than 10 ( or other arbitrary number) years old.

for less money you can have a savvy Indy work on your bike- someone who didn;t like being kept "in a box" at a dealer

mike
Thanks for the input Mike, I don't think this would be the issue as it works 98% of the time and only dis-engages every now and again. As far as I know, the controls have never been messed with. Thanks again...

Quick Reply: ECM vs Thundermax Autotuners