Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 PM
JDSporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander V Issue

I have had a commander V for about a year but it has only been on my bike about a month over the past year. When I have it on the bike, the bike barely cranks. Sounds like the battery is really dragging like its about dead. Take the commander off and bike starts normal. I contacted Fuel Moto who I purchased from and they said I needed a new battery. They said the power commander takes more voltage to start bike because it is a piggy back system. Has anybody else had this issue? Hate to buy a battery if not necessary. But I have also been giving thought about buying a power vison because it is not a piggy back system. I just hate I spent the money on the power commander and it sits in the closet in the box it came in. What battery would anyone recommend? Thanks for any info.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:08 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSporty
I have had a commander V for about a year but it has only been on my bike about a month over the past year. When I have it on the bike, the bike barely cranks. Sounds like the battery is really dragging like its about dead. Take the commander off and bike starts normal. I contacted Fuel Moto who I purchased from and they said I needed a new battery. They said the power commander takes more voltage to start bike because it is a piggy back system. Has anybody else had this issue? Hate to buy a battery if not necessary. But I have also been giving thought about buying a power vison because it is not a piggy back system. I just hate I spent the money on the power commander and it sits in the closet in the box it came in. What battery would anyone recommend? Thanks for any info.
TEST: Throw a battery tender on it. Not for charging, but to see if when the tender is on with the PCV and if the battery then cranks fine.... If it seems fine with the tender, I would take fuelmoto's recommendation.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 07-04-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:35 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSporty
What battery would anyone recommend?
I ran a PCIII and later a PCV for years and never had this problem. As for a battery recommendation, consider another variant of the $180 Harley battery like this one. It's the same battery made by Deka with the same specs (400 CCA). The only difference is the bottom section is translucent instead of black plastic. Advance Auto and many others sell the same battery for less than HD. I've had the Battery Mart version on my '07 now for two years and it works fine.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 727 Likes on 486 Posts

I had that exact issue.. here's what happened.. bought one from a guy in here and it didn't work, called dj tech support we run thru some tests and end up testing the batter voltage is good, OK so they say send it in.. I wait a week and call them they say it started 3 out of 4 times but since it didn't start one they gave me the benefit of the doubt. fine by me. I got it in the mail Thursday and hooked it up.. cranked and noticed it was a bit weak so I'm thinkin OK maybe nxt time it'll be better.. seemed to run fine higher rpm than I'm used to but good nonetheless.. turn it off and crank again and it won't start, spits back thru the intake. tried again and it barely cranks so I said **** that crap and put my xieds back on started as soon as I hit the button.. I posted the PCV on cl and it was gone 20 hours later.. I can't speak for how it performed on the road but just sitting n my driveway it sucked

Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 73,221 Likes on 22,076 Posts

WOWOW!!
Do you know how many tuners still use the PC-V?
Quite a few to my knowledge.
Sure there's probably better but there's a lot worse too.
Xied's are nothing more than fuel management.
That's all they can do.
They sure can't hold a tune.

Had my PC-V on now for 4 years.
Seems to be doing ok?
Getting ready to get another battery.
Don't really know how there could be a correlation?

Old 07-05-2014, 08:22 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Do you know the name of the guy at FM that said the PC-V is hard on the battery? I've had a PC-V from FM with no real problems and they never said any thing about them making the bike harder to turn over the motor, if this is the case I wouldn't buy another.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:21 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=GPHDXLC;12950185]Do you know the name of the guy at FM that said the PC-V is hard on the battery? I've had a PC-V from FM with no real problems and they never said any thing about them making the bike harder to turn over the motor, if this is the case I wouldn't buy another.[/QUOTe.
Shouldn't affect starting at all...

Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 PM
JDSporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Do you know the name of the guy at FM that said the PC-V is hard on the battery? I've had a PC-V from FM with no real problems and they never said any thing about them making the bike harder to turn over the motor, if this is the case I wouldn't buy another.
I do not remember who I talked to. He did not say it was hard on the battery. He said the power commander pulls a little more amps and if the battery is weak it could possibly affect starting or something like that. Has been several weeks ago since I talked to them. I was just curious if anybody else has had this problem. I put my fl-vieds back on and bike fires right up. Just hate I spent $300 on something that sits in a box. I am sure every bike is different. It just didn't work well on mine. Guess I will save up for a power vision, give it a try.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Chiledog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2008 is slower to start since I put the PC-V on. Somewhere I came across this suggestion and it really makes a difference: 1) ensure the handle bar kill switch is off, 2) turn ignition switch to on, 3) hit starter button and hold it down, and 4) flip the kill switch to run and it starts immediately.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:15 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

im getting my pc-v tommorrow and hopefully i dont have this issue but i'll try that trick if i do thanks