Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax Vs. Power Vision

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 05:51 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Thundermax Vs. Power Vision

Well, today, i officially divorced my power vision and introduced the bike to thundermax.

My 12 CVO blew the engine on the way home from Daytona. I snapped the roller off a front lifter at 18K and the metal pieces destroyed my CVO's 110, including busting one side of the cases.

ESP paid to re-build the engine however I worked with the dealer and ended up installing a 120R with all the goodies, extra 1.5 oil pan, 58 MM TB, 5.3Gm injectors, Barnett clutch, etc, etc. Yeah i know, some of the items i did not need such as the oil pan, but hey, i spent less than you think.

Got new map for PV and installed it. Rode approx 2100 miles with the map doing breakin miles and the bike never ran correctly. Took the bike to my dyno guy and he worked on it for approx 4 hours, tweaking and tuning to get the obviously flat spot out between 2200 and 2800 RPM. Ended up at 129HP/124 TQ with the 266 Cams. Not bad, but I expected a more linear curve.

Bike ran alot better but still did not perform to my expectations. all the power comes on at 3k and above. So i am thinking i need to change cams to get the power down low and the torque curve more to the left.

Buddy of mine, had a 10 Ultra with a tmax. He was trading to get a 14 and i got a screaming deal on a used Tmax.

well installed it today. Spent about 2 hours doing software and firmware updates to get all the changes into the software and tmax itself.

plugged in the wide band 02 sensors into my exhaust, already had bungs. Followed the installation procedure, started bike and wow, a way different sound. It sounded mean, aggressive, like it was a fire breathing beast.

Took it for a short ride, complete night and day. pretty much power all across the curve. Power down low, below 3K, power above 3K, less heat, better sound, it was amazing.

as I rode the bike, it got smoother and smoother.

stopped and got gas, bike fired right back up, riding down road looking at head temp, running 245, previous with PV map, 265 was norm. Oil temp steady at 230, previously between 230 and 275. Got on it hard, triple digits so fast it felt like it snapped my neck.

can not believe the difference. Have had Dynojet products since PC III came out back in the day. Never had a tmax, wondering if i should have switched sooner.

Anybody had a similar revelation? I'm kicking myself on waiting this long. Maybe its just because the 120R needs more frequent adjustment to afr or the 266 is such a dog of a cam its hard to tune. I'm a believer in Tmax now.
maybe i am wrong and tomorrow will yield different result. But i'm happy right now.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 151 Posts

Glad you were able to get everything worked out. I have both the Thundermax on the SG and trying out the PV on the Limited (first time user of the PV I've always went with Thundermax). Happy with both but I do notice a difference riding the SG although the Limited does hold its own with no issues or worries.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:31 PM
chaswood
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a T Max and will never go back to anything else. I have never spent $ on dynos. Do your math, I don't think Its worth it.All my buds have had dyno runs and are still going back. They allways tell me how my bike looks from the back. LOL

Old 07-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto, never spent a nickle on dynos, never had a problem, bike always starts before making a single revolution and runs all day long, getting great gas mileage. Can't imagine any other ECM out performing my T Max.