Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike don't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:11 PM
cunfuzed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry bike don't start

I took a nice 100 mile ride yesterday om my 07' ultra, came home and after dinner washed the bike to get off all the south jersey bugs. after washing I started the bike as usual pull it up in the driveway to dry it off with the blower and when I was done went to start it again to pull it in the garage and nothing! bright lights, horn ecm does its diagnostics, fuel pump primes. changed key fob battery twice security shuts off, checked all connections I could think of battery checked 13.8 on the meter took it to the local dealer on the trailer they said 3 codes came up all electrical. instrument panel, battery, and starter I think don't remember the 3rd I'm supposed to leave for Florida on Tuesday and they tell me call us weds. to make an appointment we are booked till then. any suggestions what to look for?

Old 07-02-2014, 03:18 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

IF the battery and cables check out ok.
check the fuses.
you can even swap the starter relay ( on fuse panel with another relay with same markings to test it)

get a 3' piece of wire, and crimp a terminal on the end.
pull the green wire off the starter solenoid ( the smaller round cylinder attached to the starter)
bike in neutral !!
turn on ignition

touch the other end of the wire to the battery +

if the starter turns over and the motor starts, then you know the fault is in the switches, the starter relay or associated wiring

if the starter turns and the motor doesn;t start, then you look at the kill switch, the system relay or the ECM/ security module

if the starter doesn;t turn then the battery is dead, cables bad or starter solenoid dead or starter dead

this is probably all related to "happy washing syndrome".

it may just fix itself when it dries

or it could be that a plug got knocked loose when washing ( like the green wire plugged onto the solenoid)

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-02-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:29 PM
cunfuzed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx for all the imput after 2 days of self diagnosis and a small hammer it was determined to be the starter solenoid sticking. could not get just a solenoid on short notice went for new starter bike starts everytime now just cost $400. and 30 minutes of self install.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:33 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

ouch- the solenoid is easily rebuilt- same as a chevy.

usually just a matter of cleaning the contact disk and lubing the plunger shaft.= $0

save your old parts

mike