Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter funnel, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:56 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Oil filter funnel, worth it?

Came across this item on amazon, wanted to see if spending the $20 on this plastic tool will be worth the cost? Seems like a nice idea, I know that many change their oil filter which is the messy part with some sort of plastic soda bottle gadget, I tried to see if I could find it on youtube but no luck as to what others use or recommend..

I need to change the oil on my 2014 SG, its already passed do the break in period.

Let me know, thanks~

Old 07-01-2014, 02:01 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Came across this item on amazon, wanted to see if spending the $20 on this plastic tool will be worth the cost? Seems like a nice idea, I know that many change their oil filter which is the messy part with some sort of plastic soda bottle gadget, I tried to see if I could find it on youtube but no luck as to what others use or recommend..

I need to change the oil on my 2014 SG, its already passed do the break in period.

Let me know, thanks~
Got one as a gift a few years back. Works great.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:02 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Don't know what Amazon funnel thingy you are talking about but the plastic bottle cut in half works just fine.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 PM
2001Roadking
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd been using the curled up manilla envelope under the oil filter until I ordered a package of oil, tranny oil and primary off of e-bay(I think) and the threw in the filter funnel thing. In my opinion, its worth 20 bucks. Keeps oil off the bike and floor. I know others use soda bottles, aluminum foil etc but the funnel is always close to my oil changing stuff.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:04 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts
Old 07-01-2014, 02:05 PM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They are handy. I have one I use now but for a long time I used a 1/2 gallon plastic milk jug I cut the side out of which worked pretty well.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:07 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 315 Posts

I make my oil little funnel at each oil change.
I seem to always be able to find some type of "glossy" magazine cover or other thin type cardboard.
Then just fashion a "half tube" and slip it under the filter as far as you can get it.

With a little practice, you'll see just exactly how it needs to fit in order to spill very little oil when removing the filter.

Of course that little oil filter change funnels you can buy will also work.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:07 PM
aaa1988
Road Master
Received 579 Likes on 294 Posts

I have one, works great. Well worth the $20 bucks

Old 07-01-2014, 02:14 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd buy it or fashion one. Last oil change I did on my 10 Ultra I didn't use anything. That thing dripped oil for a couple of days! I'll never do that again.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:23 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

How I do:

bike on jiffy stand ( if the bike is upright, like on a lift, oil will drip down on top of the frame rails etc. it is also harder to drain the filter as below)

line area under filter with foil, make a channel to the catch pan.

with a phillips head screwdriver bang a hole in the end of the filter, down low to allow the filter to drain. bang a 2nd hole higher for air to enter. this'll speed up draining.

when the filter is drained, bang a hole in the SIDE of the filter so that you can use the screwdriver as a lever to start unscrewing the filter.
( that way you don't have to worry about a filter wrench breaking the crank sensor)

unscrew and put in a bread bag.

remove foil. wipe area

check filter mount for old seal/ gasket material stuck on...lightly oil seal on new filter and turn on by hand to contact, then about 2/3 turn more.

the old filter can be taken to recycle at most auto parts stores along with your old oil.

you can use your $20 saved towards your next bike.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-01-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil filter funnel, worth it?