Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter funnel, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,295 Likes on 6,039 Posts

just a side note.... oil dry is typically made from clay....if you take a little bit and spread on your oil stain/spot, then grind it with your shoe, you will break down the clay into a fine powder and this will suck the oil right up off your floor. Save your paper towels, use a little oil dry. If it doesn't look too bad, you could always save it and reuse again. You will be amazed that a minute or two of this will remove a lot of stains on your floor.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:28 PM
nervous
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
just a side note.... oil dry is typically made from clay....if you take a little bit and spread on your oil stain/spot, then grind it with your shoe, you will break down the clay into a fine powder and this will suck the oil right up
Yup. Been doing this exact method a long time.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:01 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

I must be doing it wrong. I too make less mess with the Harley filter funnel but not enough less to make it worth $20. Heavy duty Reynolds wrap and the holes punched in the end of the filter seem to make the least mess. Have NEVER had a completely drip free filter change yet even with all of the practice I have had as I approach 65,000 miles.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:00 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
I went ahead and decided to just purchase the funnel, its just $20 also I purchased this filter, which has been my 3rd filter being used on most of my previous Harleys.. For $112 I am pretty much set with oil filter and funnel. Filter is expensive but its actually more expensive from the vendor at $120 plust s&h, $93 is just fine to me.. I've had this filter of my 11 SG, and 2010 Iron, now on my 14 SGS. Its a worthwhile investmnet IMO Thanks guys!

Amazon.com: PC Racing PCS4B Black Stainless Steel Flo Oil Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: PC Racing PCS4B Black Stainless Steel Flo Oil Filter: Automotive
Love my pc racing filter..

Old 07-01-2014, 08:06 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Came across this item on amazon, wanted to see if spending the $20 on this plastic tool will be worth the cost? Seems like a nice idea, I know that many change their oil filter which is the messy part with some sort of plastic soda bottle gadget, I tried to see if I could find it on youtube but no luck as to what others use or recommend..

I need to change the oil on my 2014 SG, its already passed do the break in period.

Let me know, thanks~
I tried have a reuseable PC Racing filter...use the aluminum foil trick to divert the run off...Spray any overflow areas with nonchlor brake fluid..apply my filter...spray again. Never a mess...everything is in the catch basin.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 PM
fourburgs
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Just move the pan under the fiter and remove... Sray the area down with brakecleaner... SIMPLE

Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 PM
turnerbend
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

$20 is a lot to pay for a 6 penny nail and a 8" plastic hose. Use a punch, nail or a 1/4 drill bit to put hole in filter top side, slip a medium duty rubber glove on filter, spin it around and let it drain. Put filter in glove when finish and dispose. Work like a charm.......

Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 PM
buell95
Road Warrior
Received 533 Likes on 303 Posts

I use the jerryrigssystem no mess and you can fill filter before installing.
best money i ever spent.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:46 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
This thing? Amazon.com: Ernst Manufacturing 960-Orange Greg's Drip-Free Oil Filter Funnel: Home Improvement

Looks cool, I have spent $20 on lunch before so I think that would be a good investment.
Works great, I can spill the same amount on the floor and bike with this as I can a plastic coke bottle cut out. Come to think about it, I probably spill more with this tool than I do a coke bottle cut out. How's that better you ask ? Well the oil spilled on the floor acts as a dusting agent as well as a paint remover on my painted concrete floor.
Don't waste your money, cut the bottle!!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,961 Likes on 4,155 Posts

Piece of card board and 3 or 4 paper towels work. However, you need to replace them every time, so the plastic $20 part will save money in the long run if you live long enough. (...Did you say you were 2 years old?)

Quick Reply: Oil filter funnel, worth it?