Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B2017 HK and Cruise Control not working (long/detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014 | 02:49 PM
Tmichael0311
|
2nd Gear
Default B2017 HK and Cruise Control not working (long/detailed)

Okay I've been elbow deep in my 08 street glide in a hotel parking lot, dug enough through forums and H-D is stumped as well. I have cruise control stock on the bike it's getting ready to push 100k mile mark.

Problem is I pulled the bike off the trailer yesterday and left las cruces Harley Davidson yesterday and my speakers worked great like always. I got to the hotel a few miles away and parked and went in my room. About two hours later I come out and the speakers would not play sound but radio had full functionality.

I took it to Harley before they closed but they basically said bring it back tomorrow we have no idea. That wasn't acceptable by my standards so I tore the fairing off in the parking lot of my hotel and started tracing my speaker amp and radio wires (only in fairing did not tear into main harness) (I did check fuses as we'll in the fuse block and the in lines) after an hour or two of tracing wires and checking fuses I turn on my ign switch and speakers start working. Turn it off start to look over everything rechecking fuses thinking that was what did it. Nope they were all still good so I start putting it back together and turn switch on and nothing again that's when I checked diag code and got b2017. Speakers are touch and go sometimes they work sometimes they don't at start up. (Also on the ride to hotel I noticed my cruise control would not engage. Red light came on would not go green or engage at all, the rocker switch never lit up as well but it was turning on as far as the speedo light was concerned.) I haven't checked the cruise problem I was on the border of confidence of my skill and felt best to leave that one to Harley. Now at Harley they found the brake light was intermittently working as well.

I'm stumped here Harley's got a we don't know we don't care mentality is the vibe I'm getting. I will add one more thing since I saw somewhere about a tssm problem. I do have the newish black illuminated handlebar mirrors on the bike (left mirror got dinged by a car door waiting on the new one to come in next week it just spins freely but still works most of the time) once the brake light issue came up that's when the tssm problem came back to my mind from my readings.

Are the three issues somehow related, could my turn signal mirror be causing these problems, or am I correct in thinking I've got a bad ground or a wire/wires rubbed and shorting... Any help would be welcome and I'm new to the forums posting wise 100k and not a single problem so never had a need to post. Ive got mechanical experience and can do mostly all of it if I'm pointed in the right direction on things I don't know fully. Any questions just ask I can give more details as needed if needed. Thank you in advanced to any help.

Old 06-29-2014 | 03:17 PM
Nute
Road Master

I feel your pain. If you PM me I can send you some information for troubleshooting code B2017 if you'd like. File is too big to post.

Too much of a coincidence for the signal mirror not to have something to do with it, however I'd be more inclined to thing that would be the problem with your cruise. I start by isolating that all electrical to the mirror signal and see if anything starts to work right.

Also, it seems you have access to the website and the forum look at the troubleshooting instruction for HK radios at the top of the page on page 1 of the Forum - Touring section.

If you have any more specific questions I can look them up in the electrical or maintenance manuals.

Last edited by Nute; 06-29-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2014 | 03:40 PM
Tmichael0311
|
2nd Gear

Thanks for the reply. Yea I've been through the HK trouble shooting, I did the reset, and he software update. If the code was consistently on that would of been my first thought but the codes only there when the speakers decide they don't want to work. Bikes at Harley at the moment about to go get it here in a few. That was my plan of action was to remove that mirror from the equation and check cruise control. I'm going to see about a new tssm module after that and replace it regardless 100k I'm sure it wouldn't hurt with the LED upgrades and mirrors once I get the new left put back on.

Also one thing I forgot in last post was that I did unwire my hog tunes amp and directly wired the fairing speakers back to factory and that did not solve problem either. Amp is showing power and voltage I dont think it's a power issue as much as a communication issue between the three units. (Speakers HK and amp) I also removed my lower fairings with speakers just to eliminate a set of speakers for easy troubleshooting.

I've never had a Harley dealership say this until now but they tried saying I might of had to much of a draw with rumbling pride LEDs 4 hog tunes speakers amp, mirror lights, led run brake and turn signal and layback light. I'm aware it's a lot but never believe too much, not to mention there is no upgrade for 08(none I'm aware of) and if it was too much as they tried saying problems would of occurred 30-40k miles ago around install of the last upgrades. I'll send you a PM once the bikes back in my hands. And I pay whatever ridiculous bill they charge me.

Old 06-29-2014 | 05:49 PM
Tmichael0311
|
2nd Gear

Okay first off @nute I'm doing this all on my iPad can't find the PM to send you one.

Summary of what's listed in detail below: brake lights are working, no cruise still, and radio speakers still intermittent. And all aftermarket adding are off.

Second off got the bike back from Harley, it is back one hundred percent stock I took all accessories off that have been added on (electrically) in my infinite wisdom last night I decided to plug the brake relay in the fuse block half in its slot and half in the slot where ABS fuse would go if you have ABS. that being said my brake lights do work. NOTE TO ANYONE READING double check your fuses are in the right slot even if you believe you put them in right. So aside from my error there's till no radio(intermittently it's come on 4 or 5 of the 20 times I turned the bike on while disconnecting stuff to see for any changes.

Cruise control did not work on way back from Harley still same thing.

Old 06-29-2014 | 07:07 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Is your 6th gear indicator light working? Also, do you have a Power Commander V?

Old 06-29-2014 | 07:57 PM
Tmichael0311
|
2nd Gear

I just checked 6th gear indicator and yes it does work, and no not using a power commander of any kind

Old 06-29-2014 | 08:04 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

My radio did the same thing after adding an amp and lower speakers. The HD radio took a crap. Iron Cross fixed it. Also the b2017 code may be normal when the amp is installed. here is what my codes were. I cant offer anything with respect to the Cruise Control. Does the Toggle Switch light up when you turn the cruise on?

B2017. (Normal for amp)
RR speaker shorted to 12V B2023
RR speaker shorted to ground B2022
RL speaker open B2021
RR speaker short B2020

Last edited by hog95023; 06-29-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2014 | 08:40 PM
Tmichael0311
|
2nd Gear

no the toggle switch does not light up red, the acc switch does light up green(besides the point lol) but no toggle switch no light, tach switch just red never goes green nor will cruise engage.

p.s. I did check the (bear with me here) the engine overheat feature where you roll the throttle forward for about 5-7 seconds to engage or disengage to shut one of the cylinders down and it flashes the cruise control light on the tach green to let you know that it engaged or disengaged. that feature does work so the light will go green. simply cruise control refusing to let me cruise and not wanting to light my toggle switch .

and im going to go back out and check the codes again I should of done that after removing the amp and lower speakers and all accessories but spaced out on that one. im coming to the conclusion that the HK has crapped out on me the AUX port went out along time ago but I seldomly ever used it so I didn't care. if it went it went and i'll have to either replace with aftermarket or use Iron Cross. im really at a cross roads on those two choices.

Old 06-29-2014 | 08:46 PM
Tmichael0311
|
2nd Gear

just went out and checked the codes. the only code im getting is that B2017. no other codes whatsoever. I reset the radio as well and rechecked to make sure and still the B2017 only. and that is with no amp or anything. one hundred percent stock bike now that i've taken evertyhing off excluding the fact that the fairing speakers are upgraded to hogtunes speakers.