Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:13 PM
tireater
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stupid mistake....

Paintless dent repair...The kick stand on my bagger pointed straight out. EverytimeI set it down it almost gave me a heart attack....
Removed it and heated it and bent it forward. Now whenI park the bike - it settles back on it and works much better...

Old 04-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Thorns
Cruiser

Forget it...it happened, it's fixable, and it happens. I was sitting in my driveway, and if you set the bike up straight and move it a little the freakin jiffy stand will pop up. Well it did, and I thought it was down, and Gawd Damn I pulled a muscle in my back, a muscle in my leg, a tendon in my left wrist, and I still had to lay it down...softly. Scratches on the rear turn signal, derby cover, and mirror...easy to replace and good as new. I let it down as slow as I could...but at a 45 degree angle you have to be in position to hold that much weight...My left foot was too close to the bike, no leverage. I got a new flames derby cover...I like it. Ride Safe.

Thorns

Old 04-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if painting is required you will want to remove it rather than have overspray all over your new bike.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone else get spooked by the jiffy stand on a Harley? This is my first Harley and its sure different than the Honda VTX I owned before. Everytime I put it down it looks unstable but I guess it's the nature of the beast.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:02 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in the words of homer simpson....doh doh

Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: choochoo

check yellow pages for paintless dent repair.
some body like dent magic.
They claim they can remove small dings (like hail damage) without removing it
or needing to repain it.
Never tried them myself though
Good suggestion. I've used these services before on my car and the result was miraculous. Can't even tell a dent was there.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:12 PM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: sparky_mo

Does anyone else get spooked by the jiffy stand on a Harley? This is my first Harley and its sure different than the Honda VTX I owned before. Everytime I put it down it looks unstable but I guess it's the nature of the beast.
[
If I use that thing a million times I think I will always wonder if it is going to fail. The big problem, as you all know, is that by the time you are at the point where you know it has caught the bike you are already at the point of no return. Possibly good for your heart, a little jump start every time you use it.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: sparky_mo

You'll learn to trust it. It's one of the most stable side stands around. Just make sure that it is full forward to the stop before putting load on it. It locks in place with weight on itso if the bike rolls forward the stand doesn't fold. Of course, park it in first gear so it won't roll.

The reliability of the jiffy stand is dependent onproper deployment as required (i.e., don't forget to use it when you need it).

Old 04-06-2007, 04:15 PM
THABULL
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sparky_mo

Just came off a VTX 1300 myself and I feel the same way about the side stand. I also don't like the fact the Harley will start with the side stand down and in gear!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was at a friends house the other day looking at his roadking, he got off it, and put the kickstand down, it looked like it was going to go down, so, i made a quick move to catch it, he's used to the way the kick stand moves, he just laughed. BUT, just today on my Heritage, i pulled in the shop and actually had to think, "put kickstand down, first" LOL.

Quick Reply: Stupid mistake....