Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jackshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014 | 10:20 PM
scot210
|
Tourer
Default jackshaft question

I am in process of changing out the clutch basket ring gear and the pinion gear. Going to be using a 10/84 setup from Spike. The pinion gear hangs up on the bigger ring gear. I played around with the bolt that goes through the jackshaft. I loosened it off. I don't have a small torque wrench to measure the exact measurement. I noticed that when I tightened up the bolt that runs through the jackshaft, the pinion gear would stick or hang up on the ring gear. ( I have a manual plunger on the solenoid that I push to test the messing of the two gears.)So I have loosened off the tension on the pinion gear. Question is, is this going to cause me grief. Right now I can manually spin the pinion gear around to each tooth and then push the plunger and the gears mesh and dis-engage cleanly. Before there were some of the teeth that would stick and the gears wouldn't dis-engage when I let go of the plunger. What do you think?

Old 06-28-2014 | 01:18 PM
grbrown
Club Member

As an engineer I suggest the more likely source of your problem is that the large ring isn't centred correctly. The small pinion should centre on it's jackshaft more dependably than the large ring. How is the large ring centred, if at all?

Old 06-29-2014 | 10:58 AM
scot210
|
Tourer

@grbrown. Thanks for the reply. I hope I am understanding your question correctly. I attached the pinion onto the jackshaft and then threaded the bolt into the starter. After that I put only the clutch basket onto its' spline, to check the engagement of both sets of teeth. I did notice a wobble on the ring gear, which wasn't fully seated on the clutch basket. Took it off the bike and loosened the 6 bolts that hold it together and then used a rubber mallet to drive the ring gear onto the hub. Re-onstalled the clutch basket back on the bike. Then I engaged the pinion with the ring gear and spun it around. It engaged evenly as I spun it.
Hope that is what you are asking.
Since I don't have a small enough torque wrench, I am guessing roughly as to how tight I do the jackshaft bolt up. My thoughts would be that the bolt should be fairly snug but not real tight. My manual calls for 9-12 nm. I noticed that the tighter it got the more the pinion would bind in the ring gear. I have backed off the tension to where the locking tab is still in the grove of the jackshaft, and now when I manual engage the pinion with the push button on the end of the solenoid the pinion releases cleanly. I am not what type of torque I have applied to the jackshaft bolt. Trying to figure out if I should put the primary cover back on and put fluid in and try it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA
Scot

Old 06-30-2014 | 03:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Hi Scot,

I was referring to installation of the gear ring on the clutch body. I haven't done what you're doing, so was just offering a few ideas! I've read through the instructions on Spyke's website, but I don't see any way that the centering of the ring on the clutch can be altered. The jackshaft pinion should centre itself fine.

12nm is 9 lb.ft. if that helps. It isn't very much! A firm grip on a small wrench can easily exceed it. It's difficult to offer a suggestion, if you don't have or can't borrow a suitable torque wrench, however it sounds as if your reduced tightness is the solution, or darned close. Sorry I can't be any more help.