Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down shifing teqnique

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

I let the clutch out between gears and use engine to help.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 AM
deltafred
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
I've always used engine breaking as much as possible as long as I've been riding anything. From dirt bikes and atvs when I was a kid to road bikes as a adult. Saves from heavy wear on the brakes and less frequent pad changes. Never had an issue engine wise do to the practice. I've actually had friends I ride with ask why they hardly ever see my brake lights. Since then I try to touch the lever enough to illuminate for the visibility but I stay off the brakes until I need to.
Yep, what he said!

Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

One is not fully in control of the vehicle if one is coasting. This is generally a bad thing.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:37 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Not a lot of truck drivers here, I see.

I am a certified CDL driver trainer. NEVER "coast". ALWAYS have your vehicle in gear, the clutch is for starting, stopping and shifting, not coasting.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:41 AM
biil9
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

always downshift. always have. always will.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:50 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I downshift/engine brake as well. The only time I don't is when someone in front of me slows quickly or I come to a sudden stop.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:01 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manninagh
One is not fully in control of the vehicle if one is coasting. This is generally a bad thing.
One has no braking control over the rear wheel when you engine brake. You are at the mercy of engine compression, the rest of the power train and the road surface or whatever is on the road surface. Adding engine braking to a rear wheel braking event creates chaotic stopping ability especially on a non ABS bike. And ABS cannot help you with an engine braking event on its own whatsoever. ABS modulating the rear brake doesn't do anything to the engine.

Downshifting (selecting the right gear for your speed) as you are braking without engine braking is the proper technique. This gives you full control of the rear brake given the surface you are riding on and following the gears down puts you in the right gear for a sudden dump of the clutch for other collision avoidance (brake and escape) after a braking event.

If one continues to use engine braking during normal events...then when it hits the fan you will revert back to those techniques and lose total control of rear wheel braking when you combine engine braking with rear wheel braking.

Downshifting (selecting the proper gear for the proper RPM) and adjusting/matching the RPM for that gear prior to re-engaging the clutch is a normal thing but when you continue to combine engine braking with a braking event you will be asking for trouble in the long run.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:01 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Down shift and use the engine to help slow me down and that way if i need to take back off i just roll the throttle.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:01 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive always used compression braking bike or car and I honestly can't remember the last time I had to replace brake pads.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:07 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
I've always used engine breaking as much as possible as long as I've been riding anything. From dirt bikes and atvs when I was a kid to road bikes as a adult. Saves from heavy wear on the brakes and less frequent pad changes. Never had an issue engine wise do to the practice. I've actually had friends I ride with ask why they hardly ever see my brake lights. Since then I try to touch the lever enough to illuminate for the visibility but I stay off the brakes until I need to.
Same here.......way I've always done it.

Quick Reply: Down shifing teqnique