Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:57 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need advice on...

I have a rk custom. Put the passing lamp on a while ago and it works great. Switching to 18" apes when the cables arrive, so I bought a turn signal kit made for a softail to add the turn signals under the light bar. I installed them with no problem (except one) and they work and look great. But, when installing them the cone shape housing that attaches the turn signal to the light bar is too deep for a wrench. And because the wire from the passing lamps runs through the center of the nut, I can not use a deep socket and ratchet. I turned the nut down as tight as I could using a pair of pliers and a socket, but feel I should get it tighter. Harley's do tend to shake a bit and I do not want it coming loose. The nuts are locking type with the nylon inside at the bottom of the threads. 9/16 nut.

Today I went and bought another 9/16 deep socket from sears and plan on slicing it down the side a bit to allow the wire to pass and get the ratchet on it. My question is, does anyone know where I could buy a set of deep socket and ratchet with a hole through the middle? They sell the set at sears with the short sockets, and the ratchet, butwill not accept regular sockets. I thought I have seen a set of drivers that would do this, but can't seem to find anything. Anyone have any thoughts? Would just slicing the socket I bought be the best idea? And do you think a dremel with a cut off wheel will slice the socket? Or should I leave well enough alone, and hope it stays tight? Any words of wisdom will help.

On a side note. Found out today that the GEAR WRENCH tools they sell at Sears now comes with the samegaurentee as all the other Craftsman hand tools. In case anyone wanted to know.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Grover
Admin "Kicking The Crap Out Of Spammers"

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: Need advice on...

Yes. Snap On Tools.

They are called Weatherhead Sockets. They are used for hydraulic fittings.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:58 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Awsome, thanks for the reply.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:34 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a link to the socket with Picture.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....p;group_ID=262

Old 04-04-2007, 02:41 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Richard,

Not to hijack the thread, but I have sent you a few PM's and E-Mail with response. Have you not been getting them?

Thanks,

Bill