Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Axle Spacing

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014 | 06:37 PM
peddler
|
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Front Wheel Axle Spacing

Recently pulled the wheels on my Ultra to have tires replaced. When I reinstalled the front wheel I noticed a space/gap between the right spacer and right fork. I followed the manual. Everything torqued to spec. I don't remember noticing the space when I removed the front wheel.

Typical? Any input will be appreciated.

Old 06-25-2014 | 06:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Didja "push inward" as described in the manual whilst tightening the axle cap nuts?

Old 06-25-2014 | 07:09 PM
peddler
|
Club Member

The manual says tighten the axle nut then insert a 7/16" drill in the hole in the axle and push inward until the drill bit meets the outside of the fork. Then tighten the axle cap nuts. That's what I did. To eliminate the gap I asked about you would have to deflect the fork. Is that possible?

Old 06-25-2014 | 08:53 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Yeah, I tried to eliminate that gap. I figured.....what the hell, the engineers are retarded. This gap is bad. The result was the right caliper scoured the **** out of my beautiful stainless steel rotor!!! So I went back to what the manual says, left the gap as intended and have a properly set up front wheel, AND a F-ed up, not so beautiful stainless steel rotor.

Old 06-25-2014 | 09:22 PM
peddler
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Yeah, I tried to eliminate that gap. I figured.....what the hell, the engineers are retarded. This gap is bad. The result was the right caliper scoured the **** out of my beautiful stainless steel rotor!!! So I went back to what the manual says, left the gap as intended and have a properly set up front wheel, AND a F-ed up, not so beautiful stainless steel rotor.
I can see how eliminating the gap by deflecting the right fork towards the left could cause a misalignment with the right caliper/rotor and cause the scored rotor you described. When you tighten the axle nut on the left side the caliper/rotor alignment is set by the width of the spacer. I don't see how you can deflect the the right fork to eliminate the gap AND align the whole in the axle with the outside edge of the right fork.

Sounds like the gap is supposed to be there. Anybody else?

Old 06-26-2014 | 12:08 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

What year is the bike in question?

There are different instructions for 1" and 25mm axles. On the older bikes, you pull the fork leg outwards until it contacts the screwdriver you've inserted into the hole in the axle. On the newer bikes, you push the fork leg inwards until it contacts the spacer. If you've got the correct axle, spacers, and are following the steps outlined in the manual, you will be just fine.

The older bikes will have a slight gap showing between the fork leg and the spacer. However, the spacer is resting against a shoulder in the axle. If the axle is installed correctly, the spacer will not budge, even though it looks as though it could move around a little.

Last edited by Mike; 06-26-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-26-2014 | 05:31 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike

There are different instructions for 1" and 25mm axles. On the older bikes, you pull the fork leg outwards until it contacts the screwdriver you've inserted into the hole in the axle. On the newer bikes, you push the fork leg inwards until it contacts the spacer. If you've got the correct axle, spacers, and are following the steps outlined in the manual, you will be just fine.

The older bikes will have a slight gap showing between the fork leg and the spacer. However, the spacer is resting against a shoulder in the axle. If the axle is installed correctly, the spacer will not budge, even though it looks as though it could move around a little.
+1
Exactly. Looks like there is a gap but its really resting against the axle.

lp

Old 06-26-2014 | 06:30 AM
peddler
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mike

The bike is a 2007 FLHTCU. As you mentioned the manual indicates "pull the fork leg outwards until the outside surface of the right fork leg contacts the 7/16" drill bit inserted into the hole in the axle."

In my original post I inaccurately described the process as pushing inwards. The reality of the situation is I didn't have to push or pull the fork leg. After I tightened the axle nut on the left side of the forks the hole in the axle/drill bit was in alignment with the outside surface of the right fork leg.

Sorry for the confusion.