Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD needs VROD motor in Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:16 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Default HD needs VROD motor in Ultra

On my way home from work last night i followed a guy on a VROD most of my 18 mile trip home. Man that bike sounded bad a**. I loved the sound of that bike. When he cracked the throttle he was gone and it sang. My mind just started wondering. A RG with a liquid cooled VROD engine stuffed in it would be unique and a big seller in my opinion. The RG is already kinda unique but its just the front end that is. Why not make it its own bike. Come on HD. go for it. That bike would be sitting in my garage without a doubt.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:55 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
On my way home from work last night i followed a guy on a VROD most of my 18 mile trip home. Man that bike sounded bad a**. I loved the sound of that bike. When he cracked the throttle he was gone and it sang. My mind just started wondering. A RG with a liquid cooled VROD engine stuffed in it would be unique and a big seller in my opinion. The RG is already kinda unique but its just the front end that is. Why not make it its own bike. Come on HD. go for it. That bike would be sitting in my garage without a doubt.
I can almost guarantee that Harley will be coming out with some sort of "V-Rod type" tourer in the near future... but I won't be buying one! Call me old fashioned, but I like my air cooled big v-twin.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:58 AM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Vrod engine in its current form would be no good for a cruiser because the torque characteristics are all wrong. It gets it horse power from having a high rev limit. it needs much more displacement to get the low end torque that a heavyweight would need.

As for sound.... personally it sounds like any other 60 degree V2 engine and not a traditional Harley. But if that's what you like then fare enough.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:14 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

The Vrod is a very slow seller with even less resale value. Swapping the Twin Cam for a Vrod in a Touring bike does not seem like a great idea, except to a small number of buyers. Small numbers don't sell.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:13 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

That is the only thing that would have me buying a new bike. BMW & Goldwing beater... Vrod is a poor seller because they put that nice motor in a crap chassis???

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 06-25-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:19 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by 4_stroke
The Vrod engine in its current form would be no good for a cruiser because the torque characteristics are all wrong. It gets it horse power from having a high rev limit. it needs much more displacement to get the low end torque that a heavyweight would need.
I realize this is a popular thing to say on this forum, but are you familiar with what a cam change will do? The Revolution motor was designed to end up in a bagger eventually.

It can't happen soon enough for me.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:06 AM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The torque thing drives me nuts, you do realize that it has more torque then a twin cam 88 and a evo, so it would pull just fine and what it lacks in torque it makes up in horsepower. I used to own one before i got my road glide. With it fully loaded up saddle bags and rack and my wife, as much gear as my road glide, it tore it up. Tons of power more then i ever needed, the torque argument is invalid.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:12 AM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrash3
The torque thing drives me nuts, you do realize that it has more torque then a twin cam 88 and a evo, so it would pull just fine and what it lacks in torque it makes up in horsepower. I used to own one before i got my road glide. With it fully loaded up saddle bags and rack and my wife, as much gear as my road glide, it tore it up. Tons of power more then i ever needed, the torque argument is invalid.
You are blinded by the numbers. The Vrod develops peak torque at 6500-7000 rpm. How often do you cruise at those revs. it only develops the power at max torque.

Last edited by 4_stroke; 06-25-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:24 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

V-Glide/Road-Rod/Tri-Rod = competitors market share shrinks as they no longer have the only performance tourers. traditionalist are good, they will keep our used ones in demand.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:34 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 4_stroke

As for sound.... personally it sounds like any other 60 degree V2 engine and not a traditional Harley. But if that's what you like then fare enough.
my 2012 RK didn't sound like a "traditional" Harley new, I guess it did run like one though.

Quick Reply: HD needs VROD motor in Ultra