Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Slow speed turning, no knee pads needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014 | 09:51 PM
EpicCowlick
|
Intermediate
Default Slow speed turning, no knee pads needed.

This is a follow-up video to see if I needed the home-made crash bar protectors. Short story is no. I spent a little time just turning in a parking lot and did not drop the bike. Put my foot down many times, yes, but no drops. It was a learning experience:

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:03 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

Ouch! Taking a utility knife and running it against your pipes?

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:06 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Keep your feet on the boards or, at the very least, wear some heavy over-ankle boots when you practice.

Good for you for practicing, lots more folks need it but won't admit it.

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:06 PM
fullautomike
Road Master

Good video, thanks for sharing and reminds me I need to practice again.

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:14 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

If you keep putting your foot down in turns like that, you run a real risk of breaking an ankle.

You would benefit from some training - either the RLAP class, or a riding class offered by your local Harley dealer.

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:24 PM
EpicCowlick
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Keithhu
If you keep putting your foot down in turns like that, you run a real risk of breaking an ankle.

You would benefit from some training - either the RLAP class, or a riding class offered by your local Harley dealer.
Yeah, too many people are talking about broken ankles to ignore. I never felt like it was overly stressful but I'll take your's and about 10 other people's words for it. Problem is I'm not sure how to avoid it short of just bailing out and letting the bike fall over. Like you said, a proper class should enlighten me.

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:31 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Keep power to that rear wheel and you almost have to try to fall over. Control your speed by using the friction zone and the rear brake.

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:40 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

In California at the Advanced Motorcycle course we spent 1/2 the day going over the techniques to drive within ever shrinking boxes. By the end of the day many were able to ride figure 8's full lock both clockwise and counterclockwise.

We also covered both lower and higher speed braking, swerving, running over 2x4's and reacting to road hazards.

Many of the instructors, like you had added garden hose in strategic places to protect from the possibility of laying their bikes down. They stood behind them when laying them down on purpose so the bikes would not fall on their legs and feet, and showed us all how to pick them up again.

They all wore boots with over the ankle protection.

Thank you for your enlightening video's.

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:46 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer

Just looks like clutch control to me. Instead of putting your foot down, hold the throttle at a little higher rpm throughout the turn and feather the clutch out in the friction zone when you feel like it's going to drop.

FWIW, I took a couple MSF courses that had us practice going as slow as possible in a straight line (follow one of the long painted lines that intersect the parking spaces), do a California stop, then go again. Hold the throttle a bit higher than idle while feathering the clutch going between 2 to 5mph. They had us do that over and over until we got a feel for the balance and clutch control, long before we had to do "the box," which is about the equivalent of your parking spaces drill.

Last edited by jayhawkclint; 06-24-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2014 | 10:47 PM
restab
Intermediate

If the bike starts feeling like it's going to fall over , you need to give it a bit more power , that will stand it back up . As my instructors said " ride it out "

Quick Reply: Slow speed turning, no knee pads needed.