Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monotubes with stock rear shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts
Default Monotubes with stock rear shocks?

I read a post recently where someone said it didnt make sense to do monotubes without replacing the rear shocks.

So I thought I'd start a thread asking about this.

Anyone have monotubes with stock shocks?

I really dont have a problem with the rear shocks, and its been a very expensive year this year, so I'm running out of cash.

Any feedback appreciated...

Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 PM
FSCparrothead
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have feedback on your exact question but I will say this.....

I switched my rear shocks out for Progressive 944s and was riding on stock front for about 3 weeks......couldn't do it anymore.

Have a firm planted feel on one end and a soft cushy ride on the other end made the ride feel very iffy in the canyons or through any corners with bumps. Now that I have the monotubes up front and 944s in the rear it feels great.

The monotubes firm the front up ALOT, so I could see it being the same feeling if you just switched the fronts.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FSCparrothead
Don't have feedback on your exact question but I will say this.....

I switched my rear shocks out for Progressive 944s and was riding on stock front for about 3 weeks......couldn't do it anymore.

Have a firm planted feel on one end and a soft cushy ride on the other end made the ride feel very iffy in the canyons or through any corners with bumps. Now that I have the monotubes up front and 944s in the rear it feels great.

The monotubes firm the front up ALOT, so I could see it being the same feeling if you just switched the fronts.
Thanks, well, I guess I'm going to find out...

Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Thanks, well, I guess I'm going to find out...
When you doing the install?? Did you decide how many clips your going to use?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM
teampiney
Cruiser

Exactly what I'm riding on at the moment. Stock ride height monotubes and stock air shocks. Changed over to monotubes to eliminate fork dive under braking. Haven't been able to make a clear cut choice on shocks and funds have been a little tight anyway. Put a few thousand miles on since did the forks over winter and I am really happy with the ride. I'll worry about the shocks when those are clapped out. Now you can lean hard on the front brakes . Majority of my braking done with the front now.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by teampiney
Exactly what I'm riding on at the moment. Stock ride height monotubes and stock air shocks. Changed over to monotubes to eliminate fork dive under braking. Haven't been able to make a clear cut choice on shocks and funds have been a little tight anyway. Put a few thousand miles on since did the forks over winter and I am really happy with the ride. I'll worry about the shocks when those are clapped out. Now you can lean hard on the front brakes . Majority of my braking done with the front now.
OK, now I feel a bit better.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

I did the opposite. Rear shocks were the first thing changed then mono tubes later. Anything is better than stock. I am sure your front end will work better than the rear with stock shocks but if one thing at a time one thing at a time. At least that way it is simpler to determine what has affected the ride and how.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had mono tubes for quite a while before switching to 944's in the rear. don't worry about running stock shocks with mono tubes up front.

But when you do switch the rears out, you will kick your own butt for not doing it sooner.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 PM
aktid35
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been running monotubes on stock rears for the last 3 years. Some of the best money I've ever spent on my bike. I will say that it does point out some of the flaws in the rear suspension. Taking quick S curves you can now feel the rear shocks loading up in the corners and running out of suspension. Next on my list is rears. Granted I'm not a light guy (275#) and I run 15 psi in the back air shocks unless riding two up. If you have any other questions about em feel free to PM me.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:01 PM
2ropes
Road Captain

Last year I installed a set of monotubes over the winter with no plans on replacing the rears, after just a few weeks of riding I was changing the rears to 444's because I was happy with the front but now could not get the rear to feel good. A year later and no regrets at all.

Quick Reply: Monotubes with stock rear shocks?