Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Cross Audio or aftermarket HU?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:18 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Question Iron Cross Audio or aftermarket HU?

it seems my stock radio is starting to have some issues. (it will randomly start shuffling continuously through songs, with no buttons pressed, randomly loses sound, switches between cd and radio, ) What is the best solution for replacing it? Iron Cross Audio, or an aftermarket kit (Biketronics presumably)?

I have the biketronics 300watt amp and 6.5" speaker package already installed.

What is the sound quality like on the Iron Cross HU's? my stock HU sounds terrible if i turn the volume more than 50% up, lots of distortion, etc. do they fix this kind of issue, or is the sound quality still mediocre?

An aftermarket HU seems like an obvious choice for superiour functionality and sound quality, but it costs more, and i'm extremely paranoid someone would try to steal the stereo/faceplate. My bike is my daily driver, and gets left unattended in parking lots all the time, which makes me really concerned for the security of an aftermarket stereo

Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All Iron Cross does is repair the HK radios, they don't make them sound any better, it' still stock HK guts. Yes, they make iPod adapters for the HU, but they are still HK units.

I had the same decision when my HU went out. I sold my core to Iron Cross and bought a Biketronics kit and a Sony HU. Much happier now, better sound quality. I think it's a no-brainer for you if you already have the amp and speakers.....

Old 06-24-2014, 03:50 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

The gains are set incorrectly on your amp if it's distorting at half volume. I would go with an aftermarket unit, one with satellite and usb capabilities.

Last edited by SG-Jay; 06-25-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:18 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

If ya don't care about cb, No brainer; Aftermarket!

The following users liked this post:
flhxkiller (05-07-2016)
Old 06-24-2014, 06:51 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Many aftermarket HU's are bluetooth capable, making the radio obsolete. 99% of the time I stream my music, either from my iPod or Pandora, or maybe an online radio station. I paid like $150 for a Sony with a tune tray, enabling me to plug my iPhone 4 into a usb cord and closing the tray up inside the head unit itself. Pretty cool, until I got an iPhone 5 which is not compatible. Still, it sounds much better than the stock unit.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
If ya don't care about cb, No brainer; Aftermarket!
True, if you don't care about the integrated nature of the HK with the intercom, CB, music audio (from various sources), weather band, etc., then the BT interface and aftermarket Jap unit may be the way to go for you.

Iron cross will fix some basic known issues with the HK unit. Issues such as the fragile front aux-in jack with a rear aux input jack relocation, install low-level outputs for your higher quality amplifier inputs as opposed to the high-level speaker level outputs you are using with your amp now. The absolute least distortion will be had with low-level inputs from the HK to a quality amp and quality speakers.

I had to replace the handlebar clamp bolts with the HD bolts with slimmer heads. Seems that the stock HD handlebar clamp bolts can tap and apply pressure to the front bottom of the HK and eventually crack the circuit board and/or rupture circuit board lands...causing intermittent operation or total failure. My bike is a 2010, and not sure when HD fixed the handle bar clamp bolts at the factory but I believe they did move to the thinner headed torx head bolts in subsequent model bikes.

Good luck with your choices.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 AM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

'Have HK / ICA preamp outs, rear aux, and Bluetooth, Very Happy!!!

Sounds as good as anything out there. (the J&M Rokkers / XTs & Rokker 500w Amp help)

Old 06-25-2014, 04:45 AM
blackswampbiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get rid of the junk HK if you want good clear sound. Here is a video at one point the bike is over 200ft away

Old 06-25-2014, 04:49 AM
blackswampbiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-25-2014, 05:07 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard god things about their repairs but it is a stock HK unit. THat is all I know about them. GOod luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: Iron Cross Audio or aftermarket HU?