Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this bent flange a wtf issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 PM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

"and now have a serious dent in my head pipe that I had to put J and B on to repair."

You poured Scotch over a dent? About as useful as putting JB Weld on it, though...

Old 06-24-2014, 06:09 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by dmercer3
Maybe, but I spent 8 years building bombs for the USMC, I think I can handle a few nuts and bolts.
Ya know bombs blow up, right??

Old 06-24-2014, 06:21 PM
dmercer3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Ya know bombs blow up, right??
^ its a bit more fun creating destruction on purpose.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

When I replaced my exhaust with my present ones, I ended up replacing the flanges so I would know I wouldn't have an issue with them. Also, only use 1/4" drive ratchet, extensions and sockets for tightening the nuts and use anti-seize on the threads. It burns off after its hot so don't worry about it looking greasy. I have never used a torque wrench on exhaust nuts, there is no need to. Anyway the values will be way off since you usually have to use long extensions to get in there which will throw off the torque at the wrench. If you use a 1/4" drive there is very little danger of over-torquing unless you go all Hulk on it (which is not necessary). After you have run the engine and got it hot and let it cool, check the nuts again then you are good to go.

By the way, my V&H 2 into 1's are also difficult to get installed since they really don't spread to get around the cylinder fins. Best way I found is have a helper hold the muffler end then tilt the exhaust and get the front pipe around the fins then with the pipes still cocked finagle the rear in. Once around the fins then you can tilt the pipe down and start getting the flanges on. They can be a pain but its real important that the flanges are hand pushed up with an even amount of stud sticking out on each side of the flange, then run the nuts up as far as possible by finger then carefully run them up by socket, evenly. Pulling one side of the flange way in then trying to do the other side may cause those bends. Along with using 3/8" drive tools and cranking down on them.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A straight extension doesn't change applied toque. Exhaust studs break often, usually due to over torquing them - I always use one and set the value in three steps alternating from one cylinder to the other.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Keerist! Just buy a new one, they ain't that expensive! And quit torquin' 'em down that hard!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Browning, nb
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
patience is not a virtue that i have either.

the torque values are not that high. here is a snippet from my 2010 manual. i don't think the values have changed since, but you can verify after you get your manual.
The values are the same for the 2014's.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:25 PM
dmercer3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
When I replaced my exhaust with my present ones, I ended up replacing the flanges so I would know I wouldn't have an issue with them. Also, only use 1/4" drive ratchet, extensions and sockets for tightening the nuts and use anti-seize on the threads. It burns off after its hot so don't worry about it looking greasy. I have never used a torque wrench on exhaust nuts, there is no need to. Anyway the values will be way off since you usually have to use long extensions to get in there which will throw off the torque at the wrench. If you use a 1/4" drive there is very little danger of over-torquing unless you go all Hulk on it (which is not necessary). After you have run the engine and got it hot and let it cool, check the nuts again then you are good to go.

By the way, my V&H 2 into 1's are also difficult to get installed since they really don't spread to get around the cylinder fins. Best way I found is have a helper hold the muffler end then tilt the exhaust and get the front pipe around the fins then with the pipes still cocked finagle the rear in. Once around the fins then you can tilt the pipe down and start getting the flanges on. They can be a pain but its real important that the flanges are hand pushed up with an even amount of stud sticking out on each side of the flange, then run the nuts up as far as possible by finger then carefully run them up by socket, evenly. Pulling one side of the flange way in then trying to do the other side may cause those bends. Along with using 3/8" drive tools and cranking down on them.
Common man, your taking away my excuse to go buy a good torque wrench lol. But yea, good tip on getting them around the fins, I figured that one out recently... it really should be written up like that in the instructions.

Originally Posted by Jinks
Keerist! Just buy a new one, they ain't that expensive! And quit torquin' 'em down that hard!
got the new set on the way (usps). ...really hoping they get here by friday!