Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV question Tuning for Dummies, me

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:48 AM
whiteroach
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face PCV question Tuning for Dummies, me

I have an '11 Limited, 103, stage 1 AC from FM, SE slip ons, and the Power Commander V. Do I have to get the bike Dyno'd to get the best out of the tuner? Is it something that I can fine tune myself? I was getting 40-41 mpg before I did anything the mpg has dropped to 37.5. Is this to be expected? Thanks for you input.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteroach
I have an '11 Limited, 103, stage 1 AC from FM, SE slip ons, and the Power Commander V. Do I have to get the bike Dyno'd to get the best out of the tuner? Is it something that I can fine tune myself? I was getting 40-41 mpg before I did anything the mpg has dropped to 37.5. Is this to be expected? Thanks for you input.
Yeah I think the drop in fuel mileage is to be expected. I lost a few MPG when I did my PC-V and stage I, and lost more MPG when I added cams. A dyno tune on top of a PC-V map is a complete waste of money in my opinion as well. I did heavy research on this two years ago and came to the result that a dyno tune will only add 1-5 HP/TQ across the powerband. Those numbers, combined with the $400+ cost of a dyno session and the possibility that the dyno guy changes something on the tune that makes the bike runs worse just wasnt enough for me to justify. Do yourself a favor...get the autotune module and run that if you want to get more refined tuning. I ran that for a little bit as well and it was amazing. The adjustments were noticeable, especially with weather/air pressure/temp changes. Good luck to ya...

Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 AM
whiteroach
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if I really want to do/or can do the auto tune

Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a PCV on my 09 RK. As it was explained to me, the first "hit"/"improvement" was making the bike run richer. More fuel means a cooler running engine but fuel economy dropped from 44/45mpg to 42-ish or about 5%. The benefit of a richer engine is also the limiting of de-acceleration pop. It did seem to have better low end performance but since this was my first Harley, I did not have much comparison to go on. I am told that unless you change the headers and pipes (not just slip-ons) or do internal engine changes (cams, etc), performance changes are not radical; just the above changes.

Last edited by DBlass; 06-23-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Fuelmoto can supply you with a fuel mileage map.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:12 AM
evil451
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bad info in this thread... the " only add 1-5 HP/TQ across the powerband " is a completely false statement and clearly that poster has NEVER seen a before and after dyno tune...

more importantly its NOT about adding hp/tq, its about getting the A/F correct throughout the powerband to provide a safe tune and make the engine run optimally.

$400 for a dynotune? who charges that? I go to one of the best tuners in the country and its $200....

Old 06-28-2014, 07:16 AM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And who and where is this tuner?

Old 06-29-2014, 03:06 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The easiest way to get a good starting map

is to go to powercommander.com and look for the download section. They have hundreds of maps for various types of configurations that you can download for free. Even if there isn't an exact setup like yours, there will be plenty that are close. Just be sure to get rid of any timing in the map before installing it. Keep reading up with a search here and you'll find a lot of great advice on how to get the most out of your PCV. Unless you have more money than time, then get a dyno but I believe they are a waste of time and money.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 AM
evil451
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z71_fourwheelin
And who and where is this tuner?
Michael Beland - A1 Cycles WPB Florida.

Its crazy I read about all these guys getting tunes on here and having issues, having to go to another tuner to fix it, etc... makes me feel lucky to live close to A1... Every bike I have had its been one and done. tuned to perfection the FIRST time.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:54 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You r lucky

Originally Posted by evil451
Michael Beland - A1 Cycles WPB Florida.

Its crazy I read about all these guys getting tunes on here and having issues, having to go to another tuner to fix it, etc... makes me feel lucky to live close to A1... Every bike I have had its been one and done. tuned to perfection the FIRST time.
Last year I rode 600 miles round trip wasted the whole day, over 4 hours at a shop for their dyno tune $300.00
It was not right, as I sent the tune to Fuelmoto, spoke to Jamie, he said it was not done correctly!
Got a great map from FM, bike runs great and get 45+ mpg.
FM rocks!

Quick Reply: PCV question Tuning for Dummies, me