Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from stock to running/turn/brake on tour-pak and rear turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014 | 11:59 PM
chucksenough
|
Advanced
Default Going from stock to running/turn/brake on tour-pak and rear turn signals

What's the most economical way to switch to running/turn/brake on the rear turn signals and tour-pak? Is there a kit that puts all this together? I could go HD, combining two kits and and picking up red lenses but the tour-pak kit (69200042A) doesn't seem to convert the side running lights to turn signals - correct? CD makes the magic converter but says it only works starting on 02 bikes. Also, all lights are still stock, and while I'd like to switch over to LED, the price is starting to ad up!

If I go the HD way, Harleypingman's write up is certainly going to be very helpful on the install.

I always appreciate the knowledge drops from this group. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2014 | 09:45 AM
usraptor
Road Master

I'd check with either http://www.radiantz.com/ or http://www.customdynamics.com/
Either one should be able to hook you up for cheaper than HD.

Old 06-20-2014 | 10:13 AM
ElGigante
Tourer

definitely call custom dynamics. Their customer support staff is better then most places technical staff and they will point in you the direction need to go. Plus if you have any issues, the tech team is great to work with.

Old 06-20-2014 | 06:17 PM
WDE
Advanced

I have the badlands rtb module (while also acts as a load equalizer) for the lower turn signals and the CD Magic Converter for the tour pak. All signals were changed to radianz LEDs in lower turn signals, and CD LEDs in the tour pak. I did it in stages. Costly but you aren't going to miss me from the rear.

Install was fairly easy. Only issue was the replacement tour pak side marker lights were wired backwards and would not work with the polarity on my bike. I just cut and spliced the connector back-on so the polarity was reversed. The stock side marker lights will work fine with the set up, but I went with all smoked lenses.

Old 06-20-2014 | 07:06 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by chucksenough
CD makes the magic converter but says it only works starting on 02 bikes.
What year do you have?

Old 06-20-2014 | 07:29 PM
Rdgray
Road Master

Ordered the HD ones from Surdyke suppose to be here Tuesday. Tour Pack, signal and tail/stop $650. 20% off free shipping

Old 06-20-2014 | 11:00 PM
chucksenough
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
What year do you have?
Thanks for the info so far guys.

Pioneer - I have a '01 Ultra Classic

Old 03-05-2015 | 08:29 PM
the rolling thunder
Advanced

Originally Posted by chucksenough
What's the most economical way to switch to running/turn/brake on the rear turn signals and tour-pak? Is there a kit that puts all this together? I could go HD, combining two kits and and picking up red lenses but the tour-pak kit (69200042A) doesn't seem to convert the side running lights to turn signals - correct? CD makes the magic converter but says it only works starting on 02 bikes. Also, all lights are still stock, and while I'd like to switch over to LED, the price is starting to ad up!

If I go the HD way, Harleypingman's write up is certainly going to be very helpful on the install.

I always appreciate the knowledge drops from this group. Thanks!
try looking into this https://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/image...etters/669.jpg $20.00 wire this to all wiring in tour pak

Old 03-06-2015 | 07:53 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master

I'm kind of a "do-it-yourselfer," which actually means "cheap." I chose to build my own circuitry using relays. I started to draw it up on paper, but I found this webpage that had the circuit already designed. If you are moderately handy with a soldering iron you could build this yourself. Once it is built you hook it up to the bulbs you want to control and tap the other end into the factory wiring.

My tour pack is a Mutazu knock-off, so I switched all the incandescent bulbs on the rear of the bike to LEDs I bought at O'Reilly Auto. Doesn't create much of an electrical load that way. Spent probably $50.00 on 'em.

If you build this, make sure you get relays with the pin-out as shown in the first graphic. If you just grab a handful off the peg at O'Reilly's you might get home and find out they weren't the correct relays. Don't ask how I know that.

Forgot to mention that I bought the HD "little black box" converter that turns the rear running lights into turn/brake/running. Also recently bought the HD LED stop light and turn signal system. My bike is a 2005 FLHT and I bought the converter that same year. Don't know if they still make that one or not. Every bulb on the rear of my bike is now LED.

Last edited by Frank the Real Biker; 03-06-2015 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Forgot something.