Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plasma rod wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:58 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,295 Likes on 6,039 Posts
Default plasma rod wiring

OK.... ordered the plasma rods and installed on my 13 SG last night. All went well until I got into the wiring. Soldered black ground and got that taken care of. Installed the adapter for the run-stop-turn to the rods and hooked up orange to the blue on the bike for the run. This works. Pulled my handy dandy test light out and unplugged the connector going to the rear lights and found the purple was left t/s and a brown was right t/s. tapped into those with the orange and I get nothing. The running run, but no brake and no t/s. This connector goes back to the lights, so it is behind the load equalizer I had to install for the CD LED lamps in the standard light fixtures.
So what am I doing wrong? Instructions say to figure out which purple wire is for left and right, but those are forward this connector. I am assuming that the actual wires running to the rear lights should be good! Any electrical wizards able to help? And I'm at work right now, so I have to wait until after 5 to do anything!!!
Thanks!
Denny

Old 06-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

evidently everyone else has not had any issues with this set up?

I did find a way to install the rods that should work quite well. I bought some 1/2" quarter round vinyl molding and some heavy duty 3M weather resistant 20lb double sided tape. I cut two 8" pieces of molding and mounted one to the underside of the filler strip on the fender, with the second piece mounted to that to provide a wider surface to mount the rods on. I wish I could take photos and insert (or even a sketch). This set up seems sturdy enough that there should not be an issue with losing the rods.
I hope to head out soon and tackle this project again. Hopefully I'll find the right combination tonight.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

ok.... so I have tail lights and turn signals, but no brake lights. I have the rods wired to blue for run/tail lights, purple for one turn signal and brown for the other. these are all located up at the fuse block. Near as I can figure, the orange/white and red/yellow strip are the brake lights. I understand now why they tell you to go back to the lower fender lamp to tag on, but I do not want to have wire connectors back there. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get brake lights to work from the front wiring? Can I run a jumper from the brake light wires at the fuse block area to the rods and not have issues? Any other thoughts? I have searched this forum plus googled and have not found anything.
Suggestions??

Old 06-19-2014, 08:16 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a different version of this installed (Not Plasma Rods - But LEDS) I had to choose either Run/Turn, Run/Brake or Brake/Turn. Not sure if that is the case with the plasma rods or not. Thought it may help though.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:28 PM
RalphJr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get the module for reduce the power for the lights ?
Refer to your service manual for the wiring digram. You might need to use the test light while the break is depressed. You can also call them they have a great tech support.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:36 AM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 06-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok....I bit the bullet and tore everything apart...sealed what I had started and moved to the rear. Installed the rods per the instructions and recommendations of Custom Dynamics. Hate like hell to tap into wires at the fender, but solder, heat shrink, wire taps, tie wraps, electrical tape are my friends. Should be all set for the long haul now. I love the fact I have all three functions, and that it does provide a bit more attention to my rear.
Does this plasma rod make my rear look big????

Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
Does this plasma rod make my rear look big????
Don't know.

Without pics. it didn't happen....