Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilt my trans....check that off my bucket list

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014 | 04:02 PM
M109Rrider
|
Advanced
Default rebuilt my trans....check that off my bucket list

2 weeks ago started hearing a howling sound. Couldn't tell where it was from. Finally lifted the bike to check my wheel bearings and I heard a thumping sound from the trans while spinning the rear tire. ****...... I'm a pretty good mech I think. Been wrenching my whole life...just not on motorcycles, at least not something as complicated as a trans. Watched a few you tube vids, read a couple how-to's on various forums and decided to go for it. Things I learned: rebuilding a trans is a ***** without all the special tool...not impossible, just a pain in the ***. Red line gear oil is some stinky ****. The cruise drive 6 speed is a little different than the 5 speed. I freaked when I pulled the top cover and didn't see the shift drum. All the vids/how-to's I found were for the 5 speeds. Luckily I borrowed a service manual from a bud. Once I finally looked at it I realized it was no big deal, it just comes apart a little differently. Once apart I found the main drive gear bearing was wasted. Ordered a Jims rebuild kit from motohub and went to town. All back together and smooth as glass. Here's some pics.

Attached Thumbnails rebuilt my trans....check that off my bucket list-20140610_202304.jpg   rebuilt my trans....check that off my bucket list-20140614_161816.jpg   rebuilt my trans....check that off my bucket list-20140614_161529.jpg   rebuilt my trans....check that off my bucket list-20140614_163430.jpg   rebuilt my trans....check that off my bucket list-20140618_164302.jpg  

Old 06-18-2014 | 04:04 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Nice job, way beyond my skills. I can put a derby cover on tho.

Did you ride it hard or is this completely unexpected?

Old 06-18-2014 | 04:11 PM
M109Rrider
|
Advanced

I don't feel I abused it. Usually that bearing goes out from side loading due to a tight drive belt but I have alway run it a little loose. Bike had 14k on it when I got it. Has 40k on it now. Guess it's just one of those things.

Here's a pic of it all back together and one of my prize for saving $1k+ by doing it myself.

Attached Thumbnails rebuilt my trans....check that off my bucket list-20140618_115610.jpg   rebuilt my trans....check that off my bucket list-20140618_164332.jpg  
Old 06-18-2014 | 04:52 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

I've pulled, installed, rebuilt all kinds of engines but never touched a trans...

It just looks all scary inside. lol

How long did it take you and did you have to press everything off and back on etc?

Well done btw...

lp

Old 06-18-2014 | 05:01 PM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by M109Rrider
2 weeks ago started hearing a howling sound. Couldn't tell where it was from. Finally lifted the bike to check my wheel bearings and I heard a thumping sound from the trans while spinning the rear tire. ****...... I'm a pretty good mech I think. Been wrenching my whole life...just not on motorcycles, at least not something as complicated as a trans. Watched a few you tube vids, read a couple how-to's on various forums and decided to go for it. Things I learned: rebuilding a trans is a ***** without all the special tool...not impossible, just a pain in the ***. Red line gear oil is some stinky ****. The cruise drive 6 speed is a little different than the 5 speed. I freaked when I pulled the top cover and didn't see the shift drum. All the vids/how-to's I found were for the 5 speeds. Luckily I borrowed a service manual from a bud. Once I finally looked at it I realized it was no big deal, it just comes apart a little differently. Once apart I found the main drive gear bearing was wasted. Ordered a Jims rebuild kit from motohub and went to town. All back together and smooth as glass. Here's some pics.
First..congrats! Secondly, how long did you research the project? What special tools did you need to acquire? Great looking ride btw.

Old 06-18-2014 | 05:06 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Good for you OP. I did mine a few months ago. No special tools but it was pretty easy. I found it was cheaper to just get all the parts from HD. A little over $300 with a new input shaft.

Old 06-18-2014 | 05:07 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dochawken
First..congrats! Secondly, how long did you research the project? What special tools did you need to acquire? Great looking ride btw.
What bike do you have?

Old 06-18-2014 | 05:45 PM
M109Rrider
|
Advanced

The 2 1/4 socket for the pully nut was the toughest thing to get. Ended up having a buddy make one for me. I don't have a arbor press but my drill press worked pretty good for a few things. A dead blow hammer was the secret weapon. Getting the main drive gear out was a little tough. A 1' piece of 4x4 turned on end and a 5 lbs little sledge got it eventually. My homemade pully socket, couple big washers, the bad inner bearing race and some all thread made reinstalling it easy.

Old 06-18-2014 | 05:46 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by M109Rrider
The 2 1/4 socket for the pully nut was the toughest thing to get. Ended up having a buddy make one for me. I don't have a arbor press but my drill press worked pretty good for a few things. A dead blow hammer was the secret weapon. Getting the main drive gear out was a little tough. A 1' piece of 4x4 and a 5 lbs little sledge got eventually. My homemade pully socket, couple big washers, the bad inner bearing race and some all thread made reinstalling it easy.
Did you freeze any of the bearings? That really helps.

Old 06-18-2014 | 05:51 PM
M109Rrider
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by soft 02
Good for you OP. I did mine a few months ago. No special tools but it was pretty easy. I found it was cheaper to just get all the parts from HD. A little over $300 with a new input shaft.
Jims kit for 07+ touring from motohub was 320. Almost 100 cheaper than anyone else.

Quick Reply: rebuilt my trans....check that off my bucket list