Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sooo the 2015 Road Glide is up for order

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014 | 06:26 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deer Stalker
Lol - I am getting the new Fugly

I love my Street Glide and the previous two Ultras before it but it certainly isn't the best touring bike out there - I like ride it in spite of its issues
You sir are a smart man!

There's a reason the "SHARK" is at the top of the food chain.

YB

Old 06-29-2014 | 06:31 AM
SE120RG
Road Master

Originally Posted by RJ111
My Black Denim RG Special ships out on the 8th of August. I wonder if we will get to pick them up before the Dealer meeting, or even look at them....
I hope so. I heard they are going to reveal the RG at sturgis before the dealer meeting. The dealers have already seen the new bike so no reason to wait

Old 06-29-2014 | 09:29 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Lol - I am getting the new Fugly

I love my Street Glide and the previous two Ultras before it but it certainly isn't the best touring bike out there - I like ride it in spite of its issues
Well seeing as Street Glides and Road Glides are identical bikes except for the fairing, I hope for your sake the only issues you have with the SG is the fairing. Otherwise you're in for some disappointment. And the new RG probably going to be the same bike as the new Street Glide with the fairing being the only difference - just like before. That's a good thing. I love my 14 SGS. It's worlds apart from my 11 Ultra even with the 107 and numerous modifications.

Obviously you're not a batwing kinda guy. I am. I've logged enough miles on Road Glides to know that I like them, but much prefer the Batwing bikes. For me, they are the best touring bikes out there. No buffeting - at all. Stable in cross winds. Handling is amazing for such a big bike. To me the batwing is an icon as well as a tribute to the Harley designers execution of performance balanced with aesthetics.

The Road Glide is cool for a number of reasons. Despite being called a Fugly, I think they look nice. Not better, but pretty nice. The fixed fairing that some say makes the bike handle "light" is disturbing to me. It reminds me of my old Vetter Windjammer 2. Turn the bars, but the headlight points straight. Nope. Not for me. And I believe it sacrifices some function at the alter of cool. The air bubble is too far forward for my tastes and it ignores the passenger. It also punches a smaller hole in the atmosphere, providing less protection. I guess if you're a little fella with no girlfriend, the Road Glide makes sense.

As far as top of the food chain - I'm sure that's what fugly owners like to think. Maybe when Road Glide sales outnumber batwing sales you make that claim, but that's a ways off if ever.

Old 06-29-2014 | 09:50 AM
equandt
Road Warrior

The new RGs available for order.

I just finished a 2500 mile ride from Wisconsin to Texas and back. About half of the dealers we stopped at had signs on the front door that said "Now taking deposits for the 2015 Road Glide". I'd say I saw at least five of these type of signs on dealers front doors.

No dealer had an HD published picture that they would show.

Old 06-29-2014 | 10:10 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by equandt
The new RGs available for order.

I just finished a 2500 mile ride from Wisconsin to Texas and back. About half of the dealers we stopped at had signs on the front door that said "Now taking deposits for the 2015 Road Glide". I'd say I saw at least five of these type of signs on dealers front doors.

No dealer had an HD published picture that they would show.
More Harley marketing genius. They know people want to be the first on their block with anything new. Factor in that it's something a lot of people wanted but couldn't have due to a halt in production and multiply that times 100 in the riding community. People want what they can't have. Remember the lists back in the late 90s? People will sign on for full price (and then some maybe) to be the first in their neighborhood.

Old 06-29-2014 | 10:14 AM
Deer Stalker
Road Master

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
You sir are a smart man!

There's a reason the "SHARK" is at the top of the food chain.

YB
Cheers Yellowbird - I've always quite admired the colour you have going on with your RG alas I don't believe a CVO version will available which is a shame this time around

Old 06-29-2014 | 10:23 AM
Deer Stalker
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevada72
Well seeing as Street Glides and Road Glides are identical bikes except for the fairing, I hope for your sake the only issues you have with the SG is the fairing. Otherwise you're in for some disappointment. And the new RG probably going to be the same bike as the new Street Glide with the fairing being the only difference - just like before. That's a good thing. I love my 14 SGS. It's worlds apart from my 11 Ultra even with the 107 and numerous modifications.

Obviously you're not a batwing kinda guy. I am. I've logged enough miles on Road Glides to know that I like them, but much prefer the Batwing bikes. For me, they are the best touring bikes out there. No buffeting - at all. Stable in cross winds. Handling is amazing for such a big bike. To me the batwing is an icon as well as a tribute to the Harley designers execution of performance balanced with aesthetics.

The Road Glide is cool for a number of reasons. Despite being called a Fugly, I think they look nice. Not better, but pretty nice. The fixed fairing that some say makes the bike handle "light" is disturbing to me. It reminds me of my old Vetter Windjammer 2. Turn the bars, but the headlight points straight. Nope. Not for me. And I believe it sacrifices some function at the alter of cool. The air bubble is too far forward for my tastes and it ignores the passenger. It also punches a smaller hole in the atmosphere, providing less protection. I guess if you're a little fella with no girlfriend, the Road Glide makes sense.

As far as top of the food chain - I'm sure that's what fugly owners like to think. Maybe when Road Glide sales outnumber batwing sales you make that claim, but that's a ways off if ever.
Yes I realise they are the same bike apart from the barn door fairing - don't get me wrong I like my SG and have had them since 2007 but there is no doubting that mounting the fairing to the forks instead of more conventionally as independent of them makes the handling much heavier and slower. In the past I thought if the RG as truly ugly but I have grown to like what we in the UK generally don't get issued with (apart from the odd CVO) - the RG is supposed to be fair superior handling and frankly I fancy a change

The touring model it is based on is a good product made better for 2014 but in modern terms it isn't a patch in reality on either my FJR or say a BMW RT - that in itself doesn't stop me having them though and I'm an HD lover not a hater

Old 06-29-2014 | 11:04 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

...the RG is supposed to be fair superior handling and frankly I fancy a change
So you haven't even ridden a Road Glide?? Oy.

Prior to Harley touring bikes I rode/owned BMWs, RTs included. Hardly technological marvels and I would say the German equivalent to Harleys in that they are a hold out for Luddites who refuse to embrace the K bikes just as many of us refuse to embrace the V-rod. Tradition infused with a dab of technology. That said, coming from oil/hex heads, it makes sense that I like the Harley line of touring bikes being a traditionalist myself. But aside from that, no bike I have ever been on - high tech or otherwise - offers the long haul comfort afforded me by the Ultra/Street Glide touring bike. It's quiet and it fits me. I can rip through the mountains, hanging with all but the most aggressive riders as well as set the cruise at 90 and gobble up tarmac while chatting with the better half on back. For me, it's the perfect bike.

Hopefully the Road Glide won't be a disappointment to you. I understand the theory that a frame mounted fairing should lend to lighter steering. In my experience, it's really not all that different handling wise. After all, how much are you really "turning" the bars at speed? If possible, I would ride one first. Or if just having something different is what you're after, go for it. The Road Glide is a great bike. It certainly won't be worse than your Street Glide. But it won't be better either.

Old 06-29-2014 | 12:13 PM
Deer Stalker
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevada72
So you haven't even ridden a Road Glide?? Oy.

Prior to Harley touring bikes I rode/owned BMWs, RTs included. Hardly technological marvels and I would say the German equivalent to Harleys in that they are a hold out for Luddites who refuse to embrace the K bikes just as many of us refuse to embrace the V-rod. Tradition infused with a dab of technology. That said, coming from oil/hex heads, it makes sense that I like the Harley line of touring bikes being a traditionalist myself. But aside from that, no bike I have ever been on - high tech or otherwise - offers the long haul comfort afforded me by the Ultra/Street Glide touring bike. It's quiet and it fits me. I can rip through the mountains, hanging with all but the most aggressive riders as well as set the cruise at 90 and gobble up tarmac while chatting with the better half on back. For me, it's the perfect bike.

Hopefully the Road Glide won't be a disappointment to you. I understand the theory that a frame mounted fairing should lend to lighter steering. In my experience, it's really not all that different handling wise. After all, how much are you really "turning" the bars at speed? If possible, I would ride one first. Or if just having something different is what you're after, go for it. The Road Glide is a great bike. It certainly won't be worse than your Street Glide. But it won't be better either.
Not ridden no as the 2015 isn't out yet - same though as the 2014 SG is supposed to be a leap ahead of my 2012. I do fancy something different though you are correct as it will have the other non fairing mods that such as forks, new saddlebags oh and of course a new colour!

Old 06-29-2014 | 12:26 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Not ridden no as the 2015 isn't out yet - same though as the 2014 SG is supposed to be a leap ahead of my 2012. I do fancy something different though you are correct as it will have the other non fairing mods that such as forks, new saddlebags oh and of course a new colour!

Nobody has ridden the 2015. Hell, I don't think anyone even really knows what it looks like for sure. It sounded as if you haven't ridden a pre 2015 RG either, and that's what I meant. Regardless, Road Glides are great bikes. The new release is exciting and I look forward to seeing them. I seriously doubt I'll regret my recent Street Glide purchase as a result of seeing one, but you never know.

And yes, the 2014 Street Glide is a world apart from the 2013 Street Glide. I really didn't expect it to be. But, I rented one and that was it - bought one as soon as I returned the rental. It's that good. I'm sure the Road Glide will be no different in that regard.

Quick Reply: Sooo the 2015 Road Glide is up for order