Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch adjustment - couldn't feel any thing...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007 | 08:54 AM
Michaelb
|
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch adjustment - couldn't feel any thing...

[:@]
I was adjusting my clutch for the first time the other day and was following the directions to a T.

I loosened the locknut on clutch - then turned the adjuster screw clock wise and was waiting for it to seat (some tension) but never felt it. Needless to say I turned it several times. I then just finally decided to back it off a little bit and then tighten down the locknut on the clutch and let it go.

I checked the clutch and found it worked - but I had to let the clutch out almost all the way before it would engage.

Any tips on what I should do to make further adjustments?Should I open up the primary and loosen up the clutchcable -loosen up the locknut and turn the adjuster screw clock wise orcounter clock wise????? Anyones help would be much appreciated.

As a side not -after I tightened up theclutch cable - I did hear a loudpigging noiseafter pumping the break several times - whichseemed to seat theclutch cable.

Any help would be much appreciated...

MB

Old 04-02-2007 | 09:24 AM
kdietz
Road Captain
Default RE: Clutch adjustment - couldn't feel any thing...

more counter clockwise of the adjuster will make it engage closer to the handlebar

Old 04-02-2007 | 07:26 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm shooting form memory here, but you make your adjustments at the clutch first, then use the turn bukle to establish "free play" at the lever; 1/16" or something close to that. You do not use the turn buckle to adjust the clutch.

Old 04-02-2007 | 07:50 PM
yota
Cruiser

I was present during my dealer doing mine. What he did was back off the lock nut. Then he put the allen wrench in to the adjuster so that the weight of the wrench was off to the right side and would then let the allen wrench drop. The resistance is minimal so with just the weight of the wrench on the adjuster it would stop when there was a bit of pressure..Now that ya have moved it from original spot you may have to search for the sweet spot shall we say. This all needs to be done with the adjustment collaped at the adjuster on the cable first.

Old 04-02-2007 | 08:45 PM
Dogwood
Tourer

Guess what, we have DIY Forums!
https://www.hdforums.com/m_70839/tm.htm

Old 04-02-2007 | 08:47 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you "Zero" out the Clutch cable BEFORE you adjusted the screw for the hub?????

You MUST take out all slack BEFORE doing the adjuster screw....

Then you do the cable adjuster...

BTW, Welcome aboard... Please post an intro in the New Members Section....

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:40 AM
BadAzz Electraglide
Tourer

First loosen cable(lots of slack at clutchhandle). Remove Derby cover. Loosen locknut. turn in center adjustment til you feel tension (I had to turn mine in 4 or 5 complete turns.) Tighten locknut back while holding center adjuster. tighten cable til there is 1/16 to 1/8 play at the cable where it goes into clutch perch. Pull clutch a few times check cable at perch again, if all is good reinstall derby cover. Lock down nut on cable and takeit for a ride. From this point on any minor adjustments can be made at the cable. Hope this helps I just had to do this to mine.