Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TFI / Tank Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Ben U
Default TFI / Tank Removal Question

Posted this to the Exhaust / Fuel section as well but since it pertains to my Electra Glide ....

Up until this point ... I've been pleased with my dealer.

I've recently bought a set of Rush slip ons and a big sucker for my 07 Electra Glide. I know I need to remap it and plan to use the TFI. I've never been keen to doing anything electrical and asked my dealer about the install. They told me it would take about 1.5 hours because they had to remove the fuel tank and connect directly to the fuel injectors. I've never heard that before and from what I'm reading here, it's sould like it would be a pretty simple install that requires removal of the seat and sidecovers. Am I missing something here?Everyone's advice is greatly appreciated but please keep this thread going towards how complicated the install ofthe TFI is. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:20 AM
52edub
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: TFI / Tank Removal Question

Here is their website with installation instructions. Some say you have to remove the tank, others say just lift it high enough to attach cables to injector wires. You can do it yourself. Instructions are for a RK, but same procedures.
matt

http://www.dobeckperformance.com/mot...llcontrol.html

Old 04-02-2007, 12:31 PM
lschultz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son just put the TFI on his 07 Roadglide about a month ago. He just took the rear bolt out of the tank and raised the rear up enough where he could get his hands up under there. It would be easier to take the tank off but you don't have to. He mounted his TFI under the left side cover. I think the ones they have out for the 07 are easier to adjust than the one I have on my 06.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:16 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can walk and chew gum at the same time , you can install it yourself. Just remove the rear bolt and the front two bolts on either side of the tank and put a 2x4 piece or rolled up towel under the rear of the tank and you can get at the injector plugs rather easily without disconnecting or removing the tank. The unit can be attached in the opening (frame void crossbrace) under the rear of the tank with the supplied velcro tape and the wires run up alongside the wiring loom to the injectors and then cable tied down to it. You attach a ground wire and depending if you are keeping the 02 sensors or not, there are plugs that plug into the harness once you disconnect them from the sensors, otherwise the other unit keeps these in the circuit.
Do it yourself with the supplied settings furnished with the unit and you are done.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: lschultz

My son just put the TFI on his 07 Roadglide about a month ago. He just took the rear bolt out of the tank and raised the rear up enough where he could get his hands up under there. It would be easier to take the tank off but you don't have to. He mounted his TFI under the left side cover. I think the ones they have out for the 07 are easier to adjust than the one I have on my 06.
Same for the 06 Roadglide. It took me about 40 minutes to install, not including going to the dealership and getting a fuel line connector to replace the one that I broke....The moral of the story is, MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE FUEL LINE FROM THE TANK BEFORE YOU LIFT UP ON IT! It's even a quick-disconnect fitting so I felt really stupid.

I have pretty big hands and it's close quarters but as was mentioned there's no need to have a dealer do it if you have basic hand tools and can read the instructions. Old bathtowels stuffed under the tank is what I used to hold it up during installation.