Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another stupid 1k service question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:39 AM
rider300
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another stupid 1k service question

I just got my RK and 1k service coming up. My question is ,should I take it to the dealer($380), or should I do it myself? I looked at the videos and I think it's not that hard to change all 3 oils and the filter. I just wonder if they do anything more ,then changing fluids and the visual inspection. I'm planning doing as much as I can to save some $$$. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

First thing I would do is get the factory $60 service manual. It will list what needs to be done and how to do it. Well worth the money savings in the long run.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The 1k service is more than just changing your oil. Whether hd does more than that is debatable. You can find service check lists online, I reccomened getting the service manual and doing it yourself. The money you save would buy the manual and a jack. Keep your receipts for warranty purposes

Old 06-17-2014, 06:57 AM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
The 1k service is more than just changing your oil. Whether hd does more than that is debatable. You can find service check lists online, I reccomened getting the service manual and doing it yourself. The money you save would buy the manual and a jack. Keep your receipts for warranty purposes
Well said, I agree completely. Between me and the wife we have had 4 Harley's and I did all the work on all of them. It's really not that difficult if you have the proper tools AND the service manual.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

get a service manual and keep your money and do it yourself. half the time the dealers really screw you on this. good one they pull on their customers is not putting a new oil filter on. if you do take it in mark your drain plugs and filter to make sure they really do it.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:24 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's awfully pricey, even if they are using synthetics. You can absolutely do it yourself. But there is more to it. You also need to do things like check the belt tension. Get a manual to make sure you feel comfortable doing it and also to make sure you have the tools you need. For any maintenance you do, save your receipts like others said.

http://www.kutterharleyonline.com/ha...anual-99483-14

Old 06-17-2014, 08:44 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

If you aren't mechanically inclined, or don't feel comfortable doing it, find a local indy to help you out. I did my own oil change, and had my indy check all critical fasteners and such, for about $175 or so.

As others have said, the 1k mile service is MORE than just an oil change.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:51 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I did the fluids myself and the dealer did the rest. It was under $100 to do it this way and I had it on record that they did the service. They did charge me for another primary gasket because they pulled the cover again for the clutch adjustment. I can do it and have the service manual but I wanted it documented that they did it for any warranty issues. Bike is out of warranty now so it doesn't matter.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Hozzie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am doing the hybrid approach myself. While I have the service manual and am mechanically inclined, this is my first Harley and I prefer to have someone who (hopefully) knows what to look for a bit more than me check all of the things outside of the oils. I changed the motor, trans, and primary oil and they are going to do the rest for $150.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:18 AM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whatever you do, remember to keep any receipts that you have a make a notation of the date and mileage on the receipt for warranty purposes. Other wise, if you have a warranty issue come up you're screwed.

Quick Reply: Another stupid 1k service question