Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jagg 10 Row hitting fender

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 02:21 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Jagg 10 Row hitting front fender *** UPDATED WITH VIDEO ***

*** UPDATE 8/17/2014 ... POST #16 now includes video after the shocks were re-built ***

Just an FYI I suppose...

I have the Jagg 10-Row Fan assisted oil cooler installed and noticed lately that it has started to hit the back side of the front fender.

I don't recall this happening when I first installed it and it seems to have been hitting only in the last 10K or 15K miles or so. I noticed awhile back but thought it was just dirt/mud and it would wash off... well it didn't.

The "problem" really appeared this last week when I started having some handling problems under aggressive braking while turning. It turns out that my front shocks are in desperate need of a rebuild and I noticed that during aggressive braking the bike started to fight me. This was partially due to the front end needing to be rebuilt and partially because the the front end was diving more than it had in the past and it was hitting the voltage regulator.

My opinion, if you run this setup you need to stay on top of the maintenance in regards to the front fork tubes.

Pics below...

Last edited by Dr. Tiki; 08-17-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Your front forks have a def problem, IMHO it's not the Jagg. I assume the regulator is secure? No way this should be happening.

Take it right in, to me your forks are loose and moving forward to back... They should only be able to move within the fork tubes. Dont ride it is my advice.

Last edited by Arizona; 06-16-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
Your front forks have a def problem, IMHO it's not the Jagg. I assume the regulator is secure? No way this should be happening.

Take it right in, to me your forks are loose and moving forward to back... They should only be able to move within the fork tubes. Dont ride it is my advice.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:40 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks ugly

Old 06-16-2014, 11:02 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Sure looks like the voltage regulator making contact, not the oil cooler. While you may need routine service on your forks, I doubt the bushings wore out so bad in 15K to allow enough front to back motion to make contact. You can loosen the VR and fender bolts and cheat them in a favorable direction by taking the slop out of the hardware. If that's not enough, you can oval the VR mount holes with a round file. I did these things and a lot more when fitting a fan to my oil cooler. In the end I had less than an 1/8" clearance through the full range of motion of suspension, all it has to do is clear, doesn't need to be a lot.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 AM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your showing 94,000 miles and counting in your sig. I would suspect the fork bushings are worn enough to allow this to happen.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2004Sierra
Your showing 94,000 miles and counting in your sig. I would suspect the fork bushings are worn enough to allow this to happen.
Kinda what I'm thinking. That's a lot of miles.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 PM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same thing happen on my 08 SG. Only had 11,000 miles on it and it hit from day 1 . Contacted Jagg and never did get it resolved, traded the bike in a month or so later. Jagg admitted it was something they never really checked out and that they would look into it. They did offer to buy me a replacement fender but I never took it that far. Seems it was an issue when they first came out with the fan assist for that year so not sure if they remedied it or not.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by pt4u2nv
Had the same thing happen on my 08 SG. Only had 11,000 miles on it and it hit from day 1 . Contacted Jagg and never did get it resolved, traded the bike in a month or so later. Jagg admitted it was something they never really checked out and that they would look into it. They did offer to buy me a replacement fender but I never took it that far. Seems it was an issue when they first came out with the fan assist for that year so not sure if they remedied it or not.
Wow it actually mounts THAT CLOSE to the fender? Geez, well maybe our OP is just needing to alter his mount then. Was concerned he had a worse problem. Hopefully it's just this.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

Yes it's the Voltage Regulator hitting the fender and not the oil cooler.

I have already talked to the dealer before I posted my message and we both agree that contact is only being made when the forks are at or near full compression but neither of us feel that the tubes are loose in the triple trees... though there may be some play if the bushings and seals are shot.

In talking to the dealer, it's obvious the front forks need to be rebuilt and since this is normally done at the 100K service and since I am sitting at 95K... they will just perform the service now. I believe that the normal service interval for the shocks are every 50K miles which was when mine was done last.

This is on the heels of last weeks problem, where I just replaced the fuel filter housing because it was cracked and I lost fuel pressure. Unfortunately the recall of 2008 did not apply to my 2010 bike.

Last edited by Dr. Tiki; 06-16-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Jagg 10 Row hitting fender