Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jagg 10 Row hitting fender

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Any way to just remove the fan assist with out having to remove the whole cooler permanently? I've never actually seen the unit with a fan so I'm just wondering.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

As to why hog95023 mentioned removing the cooler though it's the voltage regulator making contact. During the install of the cooler, you have to remove the regulator from it's stock position and mount the oil cooler there, the regulator then gets moved above the cooler. Removing the cooler would put the voltage regulator back into it's stock position.

I am not sure if the units without the fan have the same mounting bracket or not, but for this unit. I believe that the fan mounts to the bracket, not to the radiator portion of the oil cooler. So I do not think that removing the fan will do anything as far adjusting the position of the oil cooler itself nor do anything as far as moving the voltage regulator.

I'll take a closer look at it again tonight. I also wrote Jagg an e-mail aboutit to see if they have ran across the problem and if they did is there a fix. I also sent them the link to the video as it shows the problem a lot better than I can explain it.

Last edited by Dr. Tiki; 08-18-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:45 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
Any way to just remove the fan assist with out having to remove the whole cooler permanently? I've never actually seen the unit with a fan so I'm just wondering.
This is my 06 Ultra with the fan-assisted Jagg. Fender-to-regulator (red line) is 2-1/2 inches. I've got no scratches on my fender from hitting. I believe the 09 and later have a different Jagg p/n; can't tell you what exactly is different between the assemblies, but from the OP's video, it looks like the regulator is much further forward than mine. Guessing maybe 1 inch from the fender? The leading edge of my VR is behind the leading edge of my cooler; in the video, the VR seems to be forward of the cooler?

Attached Thumbnails Jagg 10 Row hitting fender-1.jpg   Jagg 10 Row hitting fender-2.jpg  

Last edited by SeaZund; 08-18-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Tiki
I am not sure if the units without the fan have the same mounting bracket or not, but for this unit.
I have the non-fan assist jagg 10 row and it mounts just like the stock harley cooler would, nothing gets relocated acept the the oil filter just to put the oil line bracket in. I wasn't sure if you could just remove the fan and still mount it like a stock oil filter, didn't think so but wasn't sure.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:27 PM
margin5
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put the same Jagg Cooler on my Amazon wish list. Very interested in how this shakes out. Keep up the posts.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:46 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Looks like the OP took it off and has it listed on the classifieds....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...il-cooler.html

mike

Old 08-20-2015, 12:12 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

Yes, I have listed it for sale and for anyone that has asked about it, I am very straightforward with my responses ... which is probably why it's still for sale. Unfortunately I have not updated this thread until now.

I believe that the reason the relocated regulator was hitting the fender was because of a bent bracket that moved the regulator closer to the fender.

I believe that bracket was bent during a routine service performed at the dealership but there is no way to be absolutely sure.

If you choose to buy it, the bracket is packed as it came off my bike, so it may need to straightened out.

Though overall I am satisfied with the performance (other than it started to hit the front fender), the issue did bring to light another issue though and is the main reason that I am selling it... On an earlier trip to Yuma, AZ one of the hoses developed a leak and since I didn't have tools with me, I took it into the local dealer who looked at it. After going rounds with "Thats not a Harley part" they did repair it but I decided that it wasn't worth the aggravation in any of my future road trips nor did I want to be stuck somewhere because the dealership had to order a special part form another manufacturer.

Hence, it is now for sale.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:47 AM
MarcV125
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Tiki
Yes, I have listed it for sale and for anyone that has asked about it, I am very straightforward with my responses ... which is probably why it's still for sale. Unfortunately I have not updated this thread until now.

I believe that the reason the relocated regulator was hitting the fender was because of a bent bracket that moved the regulator closer to the fender.

I believe that bracket was bent during a routine service performed at the dealership but there is no way to be absolutely sure.

If you choose to buy it, the bracket is packed as it came off my bike, so it may need to straightened out.

Though overall I am satisfied with the performance (other than it started to hit the front fender), the issue did bring to light another issue though and is the main reason that I am selling it... On an earlier trip to Yuma, AZ one of the hoses developed a leak and since I didn't have tools with me, I took it into the local dealer who looked at it. After going rounds with "Thats not a Harley part" they did repair it but I decided that it wasn't worth the aggravation in any of my future road trips nor did I want to be stuck somewhere because the dealership had to order a special part form another manufacturer.

Hence, it is now for sale.

Yea man, something is definitely not right...ive had mine on for damn near 40k and have not had the cooler hit the fender.. I would think the only way for that to happen would be for the oil cooler bracket to be bent like you stated because the regulator bolts onto the bracket.. And the hose issue...I replace them after every riding season just to be safe... Is it needed every year ?..absolutely not , very little wear on the hoses.. but i consider checking all hoses part of routine maint.. still sucks though it happened on a trip...and sucks even more that harley would give you big ***** because they didnt want to replace 2 pieces of freakin rubber oil hose....Thats just damn ridiculous..

marc

marc

Old 08-20-2015, 06:01 AM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Excellent job with that video! It looks like it is more that hitting the voltage regulator, it is pushing it around too! I agree with taking it off too for all your reasons. This is a very enlightening post.

Last edited by fullautomike; 08-20-2015 at 06:05 AM.