Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

v&h vs rineharts

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007 | 03:23 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Default RE: v&h vs rineharts

ORIGINAL: Thundercloud

Has anyone use V&H dual head pipes with Rinehardt slip ons????

I have the V&H pipes now with Bassani slip ons but I really like the look of the Rinehardt Eagle Beak mufflers. How do you guys think that would work together??

With your setup, I bet they would be awsome.

Old 04-03-2007 | 09:33 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Age old question, chicken or the egg. As others have said, go to the dealer, bike night, poker run and just sit and listen. You hear something tht sounds good, ask. Beware though, a highly modified engine running he same pipes will sound a lot different and the db level will be different.

I had the RTD's on my 03 RKC and loved them, sweet sound at idle and moderate acceleration, get quite loud if you hammer it or under a steady load such as climbing a mountain.

I have decided to put them on my 07 Ultra as I really do like the sound, and at highway speeds, not too bad, can hear the raidio though have to turn it up a bit.

my .02

Old 04-03-2007 | 09:42 PM
Ben U

I couldn't agree more. I was think about the V&H ovals ... I went and listened to the various types. After listening to several types, my brother and my dealer talked me into some Rush slip ons with exchangeable tips. I love the sound and glad I waited 5,000 miles to find the ones I like!

ORIGINAL: Electra Geezer

Don't listen to any of us. Go to your local Harley dealer or handout and listen to pipes first hand. Go for a ride and get right next to the exhaust tip and listen. Find something you like and then purchase it. I have had 5, 6, 7, ah I lost count of how many exhaust systems I have had just on my current bike. The funny thing is I am STILL NOT 100% satisfied with the sound. Take several rides and don't make the same mistakes I have made. GO AND LISTEN FIRST HAND!

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:18 PM
callieblue
Tourer

Had the VH on my scooter with my new 95" build. My numbers were ok at 78hp and 98 torque, and that was with the baffles out of the VH big shot true duals, to try and get them to breath better. I like them loud.

Put of Rinehart true duals on with 2-1/2" mufflers, and my numbers are much better at 104.8 torque and 90 on the horse power. Really nice sound, but I could use them a little louder.

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:28 PM
wnogood
Banned

ORIGINAL: Loch

I’ve seen dyno sheets on stock 88’s with Rineharts and the torque curve looks good. The newer versions have a header that is stepped different than the originals so the torque is better.
I also think it’s funny that some like to say the Rineharts are GREAT on 95” engines but suck and DESTROY torque on 88” engines. A 95” engine is 8% larger than an 88” and they perform 180 degrees different than one another? Yeah, you’re fooling yourself if you believe that. Sure the 95” moves more air, but only 8% more and that percentage doesn’t make performance 100% different.
I'll take that one personally. I never said that they work better on ANY 95 as opposed to ANY 88. Thanks for the math lesson but it's not required to make my point. Stepped headers are designed for engines with high volumetric efficiency. What that means is that they are designed to move alot of air, by scavenging the exhaust from the motor much more efficiently than a pipe that is say 1-3/4 all the way to the muffler body. The smaller diameter pipe, as in the VH, 1-3/4, will help produce more backpressure in the headpipes which helps low-end torque. That being said, if we are comparing stock 88's to stage II 95's (which are low performance at best) then the VH will be a much better choice. Now, if we are comparing stock 88's to high performance, high compression, big valve, good flowing head 95's, then the Rineharts are an excellent choice. I have dyno sheets to show that the Rineharts make better peak horsepower, but less torque than the VH headpipes. This was done on a bike that was stage 1 air, PCIII, and TW6 cams, 88 inch. With the Rineharts, the torque at 2500 rpm's was at it's lowest point, about 59 lbs ft. With the VH, at 2500 rpm's the torque was steadily climbing and measured about 69 lbs ft. With the Rineharts, the horsepower was still climbing at the redline, measuring about 78 hp. With the VH, horsepower peaked at about 5700 rpms, and measured about 74 hp. Is it a huge difference? Likely not, but it is different. My 95 build, shows NO torque dip in the low rpm's, and measures right at 80 lbs ft at 2500 rpm's, and is over 100 by 3500 rpm's.

Ok, so you will only lose maybe a handful of torque numbers at low rpm's....BUT YOU DO LOSE TORQUE DOWN ON THE BOTTOM! Ask any reputable dyno tuner and he will tell you the same. While we are at it, if you want max torque.....you gotta have a 2 into 1.

nogood o~`o

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:31 PM
wnogood
Banned

Oh, I almost forgot. If my 95 is only moving 8% more air than an 88, then why did it make the best numbers with an air filter that is 100% larger than a SE stage 1? Hmmmmm.....fly in the ointment?

nogood o~`o

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:48 PM
E DOGG
Road Master

Old 04-04-2007 | 12:30 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

I've installed Rinehart TD's on my 2000 FLHTCI, and they are great quality and sound. A little loud for me, though, and I've e-mailed Bub to see what baffles would work to quiet it down a bit. I also installed a PCIIIUSB and Ness Big Sucker a/c at the same time. Runs like a scalded cat.

Don't know about V&H. Good luck with whatever you pick.

Old 04-04-2007 | 02:49 AM
rideon
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: wnogood

Oh, I almost forgot. If my 95 is only moving 8% more air than an 88, then why did it make the best numbers with an air filter that is 100% larger than a SE stage 1? Hmmmmm.....fly in the ointment?

nogood o~`o
You go nogood!

Old 04-04-2007 | 05:19 AM
JeffSG
Road Warrior

Nogood: Good stuff! Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. I had to read it twice but makes sense.

Peace,

Quick Reply: v&h vs rineharts