Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:10 PM
jkeeton81
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold weather riding

Im planning to take my street glide from Colorado Springs up to Aspen Sunday morning. Weather is looking clear but in the higher areas looks like it might be around 39-55 degrees give or take. Am I crazy for riding in that cold or is it not that bad? Planning to have full gear on, gloves, insulated riding pants and jacket, baklava, long johns.

Any other recommendations or am I over thinking it?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind riding in those temps but I have lower fairings. Even with a half helmet I'm comfortable.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 301 Likes on 94 Posts

Sounds to me that you have all the right gear to ride through the cold and enjoy it. I've ridden many times in cold weather, even left once for a trip when it was 39 and snowing. As long as you're geared up right, all should be fine.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:14 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

For gods sakes man! Your posting a thread about cold weather riding and it's the middle on June.

Don't forget a survival kit!

Old 06-13-2014, 12:16 PM
jkeeton81
Tourer

Haha Trust me Jeff, Im not thrilled about it. I just moved here from Charleston SC so Im not exactly used to it being cold...especially in June

Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 PM
chromepower
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wear layers and you should be fine. Disposable latex gloves worn as a liner will help keep your hands warm. I regularly ride in the upper 20's if the roads are clear. Keeping air out is a big help. A neck gaiter or scarf helps quite a bit.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Shep68
Road Master

I've been up in the Rockies several times already this season. Temps are cool to cold'ish in the a.m., but the closer you get to noon the temps are perfect: 60's-70's. T-shirt w/ a sweatshirt and insulated jacket, jeans are ok (pack long johns if you want just in case), good gloves. Doubt you'll need a balaclava but bring it if you must. You will be stripping off the cold weather gear as the day progresses. It's beautiful up there right now...enjoy!

Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM
WillyD
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually prefer to dress in layers with layers that are easily stowed on the bike. When I ride in the cold (usually 30 is around my limit) I wear a pair of underarmor or starter brand thermal pants under my jeans. These are thin and they keep the wind off the skin and keep my legs pretty warm. If you get too warm you can always stop and peel them off and they will darn near store in a windshield bag. I have leather over pants that are thick and very nice but they are cumbersome and do not pack down in as small of a package. If I knew I was going to be riding for longer than an hour in sub 30 degree weather until I got to my destination I may wear them but prefer not to. Up top I prefer T shirt followed by a long sleeve thermal and followed by a lightweight stand alone liner followed by my lightweight textile jacket. Any one of those layers not needed can easily stow in the saddle bag. Up top stays warm with all those layers into the lower 20's. The biggest factor as mentioned here is keeping the wind out of areas it can creep into. Like up the sleeves, around the neck and actually the area of your back where you can get a gap between your pants and jacket. I prefer to tuck in shirts when I can to keep out the air. A good pair of gloves will also keep your hands toasty..

if you are in the cold riding and are comfy, try to avoid stopping along the way and going into a warm area with your gear on..Once you do and sweat even the slightest amount then get back on the bike you will be cold. If you are pretty warm and stop for gas or whatever, try to stay outside if you can...obviously if you get real cold and you need to warm up then that's what you need. It's not that bad to ride in the cold as long as you stay reasonably warm and DRY...

Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

you should be good to go. 40 degrees in sunshine is a lot warmer than 40 degrees in the dark. i do a lot of riding in the early early morning right up through December and occasionally in Jan and Feb as long as the roads are clear. a modular of full face helmet helps, if not, a scarf or something to wrap around your face is a big plus. i agree, dress in layers and you can take them off as you get warm. I rode from upstate n.y. last year when it was cold and rainy at 45 degrees to southern maryland where it reached 90. layers is the key. enjoy the ride....stay safe.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:49 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,663 Likes on 1,084 Posts

With that much gear, I'd say you're starting to head into over thinking it. Leave room in the bags to take stuff off, and carry more should you need it.

Quick Reply: Cold weather riding