Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme Engine Heat!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:09 AM
slburgie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Extreme Engine Heat!

I keep reading of high heat from these engines and various remedies that are available on the market. Has anyone here actually experienced an engine failure or actual damage to their motors as a result of high temps. and I mean first hand knowledge and not stories of a friend who had a friend. It appears "heat" complaints always surface understandably during the summer months. It would make more sense to know if there was failures and what the riders were doing that precipitated the catastrophic failure if there was one.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:27 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

We got caught in a traffic jam last year in Las Vegas. The temp gauge on the dash showed 120. The rear cylinder cut off was making it idle like it was trying to die, but it cooled down and never had any problem with it. No extra cooling gear on the bike at all. You really have to try and overheat one of these motors.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 315 Posts

Have heard a lot of people complain of how "hot" these motors run over the years.
But I have never heard of a "heat related" engine failure.

HD does extensive testing in the desert heat.
I think a rider will give up before the engine does.

You are sitting right on top of an air/oil cooled engine, so it is going to feel extremely hot to you at times.
A good synthetic oil will help stand up to extreme temps better than a conventional oil.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:08 AM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've seen oil temps approach 300 degrees with very low oil pressures due to drop in viscosity in stalled traffic. Do not know what the head temps were. I run synthetic because this seems to happen to me a couple of times a summer. While I suspect this is terrible for the oil system I'm not aware of failures.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:12 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

how much of the heat is coming from the engine....and how much is coming from the converter? probably a bit of both. had an oil temp meter on my 2010 FLHTK but it never got too high. i haven't put one on my 2013 yet. changing out the head pipes helped me out with some of the heat but i've noticed now that its getting warmer, my right side is starting to get a little warm again especially when stopped or in slow traffic. just one of those things you learn to live with. alternative is to get into the truck and turn on the air. i'll save that for when the D.C. mercury gets to triple digits.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:36 AM
OLDDEADEYE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've read where you can leave one of these engines sitting idle in the desert for a full fuel load and it won't hurt it.
Now sitting on it might roast some nuts....

Old 06-14-2014, 07:21 AM
qmann
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was riding a 2005 FLHTC across the Mojave. Was approximately 110-115 degrees. The bike was starting to ping loudly and really loss power (carbed). Not wanting to stop in the desert heat, I motored on. Approximately 50 miles later I pulled in to a gas station. Let the bike cool. Continued on, owned bike another couple of years. I feel I was close to damaging the engine, based on noise and performance, however it hung in there.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

HD engines have heated bad for more than 100 years... they're built for heat!
No problem!

Old 06-14-2014, 08:37 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by OLDDEADEYE
I've read where you can leave one of these engines sitting idle in the desert for a full fuel load and it won't hurt it.
Now sitting on it might roast some nuts....
Your nuts would be just fine if you installed a Captain Itch Crotch Cooler!

Old 06-14-2014, 10:35 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Here you go:

Now mind you this was caused by a dealer not properly installing a stage one map but none the less it was extreme heat.

Quick Reply: Extreme Engine Heat!