Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork bolt + clutch cable = damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:26 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Fork bolt + clutch cable = damage

So I've attached two pics. One showing the bolt on top of the left fork and one showing my clutch cable. I do alot of tight parking--particularly in my garage when I'm getting it in it's perfect spot. Other times, when backing in, I tend to allow the bars to go to their furthest limits.

So--handlebar turned all the way to the left---that bolt bites into the cable and you can see what occured. The cable has very little play remaining so I can't slide it over or anything---prob could go into fairing to see how much slack is in there, but I peeped, and don't see any. It's not so short that it pulls when turning the bars all the way right.

Sure this coating serves a purpose in protecting internal metal and it's just PRETTY---any recommendations before I head to Lowes for something to prevent further damage and to protect the exposed metal?

Attached Thumbnails Fork bolt + clutch cable = damage-bolt.jpg   Fork bolt + clutch cable = damage-cable.jpg  
Old 06-11-2014, 07:28 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,660 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Spiral cable wrap makes a good protector, and is easy to install and replace. If Lowes doesn't have it over in their electrical section, Radio Shack will.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Nitroharley
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep spirowrap is what you need. Get some smaller than the cable diameter so it will be tight on the cable.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:37 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

You could reroute the cable or slice a piece of rubber hose down the middle to make a protective sleeve

Old 06-11-2014, 07:44 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

NICE! Does this spirowrap have a split in it so it just goes over the cable.........or will I have to disconnect the clutch cable to "slide" it in the wrap? Some things I'm great at doing---I love wrenching---some things I don't like to mess with---like disconnecting a cable.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:19 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could buy a honda, they dont have these kinda problems ... lmao

i agree wit hthe options above, i know my local lowes carry the sprowrap, as i think most do. good luck with it

Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM
glider69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your cable is routed wrong i'm willing to bet. Lots of people mount them wrong putting apes on and they kink in that exact area. You would be amazed at how much difference a 1/4" in one direction makes.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:29 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

Thanks guys...I bought the spiro wrap and I'll check routing of the cable a little later...don't feel like checking it out anytime soon.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:03 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I used clear fuel line, slit it down the side and epoxied it onto my clutch cable as a protector. The clear coating on Magnum lines SUCK and don't hold up to ANY kind of friction.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I used clear fuel line, slit it down the side and epoxied it onto my clutch cable as a protector. The clear coating on Magnum lines SUCK and don't hold up to ANY kind of friction.
That's good to know, thanks. My diamond back clutch cable is almost worn right through from the clamp next to the nacelle. I've got 14" Wild 1's.

Quick Reply: Fork bolt + clutch cable = damage