Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOOM antenna or reposition stock antenna for street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default BOOM antenna or reposition stock antenna for street Glide?

I was considering the Boom antenna when I saw a couple of youtube videos of guys taking the stock antenna and placing it horizonally past the rear fender and up under the fuel tank and then securing with zip ties.

Has anyone tried this with the stock antenna? It would save some money and considerable time.

More curious on reception issues with the stock antenna laying horizonally.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:51 PM
sprnt96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it, I can't see where the reception is really any different than it was prior..and my wife doesn't get an antenna in her **** when she gets on!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer

Originally Posted by sprnt96
I did it, I can't see where the reception is really any different than it was prior..and my wife doesn't get an antenna in her **** when she gets on!
So you would recommend this?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:36 PM
trooper_355
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Antenna

I positioned my antenna along the seat and zip tied the end like you said. I have good reception in town, but lose radio about 20 miles into a rural ride. I like the look so I might work on Bluetooth for pandora.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:38 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer

Originally Posted by trooper_355
I positioned my antenna along the seat and zip tied the end like you said. I have good reception in town, but lose radio about 20 miles into a rural ride. I like the look so I might work on Bluetooth for pandora.
Do you think if you went with the BOOM antenna you would still lose reception 20 miles into a rural ride?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:41 PM
CousinKAP
Advanced

I just did this yesterday. It seems fine to me but the one station I listen too has weak reception no matter how the antenna is. It's raining here but I will try to take it out for a spin listening to a different station and report back. If you're on the fence it only takes about 5 minutes to do. Literally one screw after you take off the seat.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:14 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer

Originally Posted by CousinKAP
I just did this yesterday. It seems fine to me but the one station I listen too has weak reception no matter how the antenna is. It's raining here but I will try to take it out for a spin listening to a different station and report back. If you're on the fence it only takes about 5 minutes to do. Literally one screw after you take off the seat.
Curious if you decided later to go the BOOM antenna route if the reception would be an improvement or not.

What about the gromet for the hole where the antenna came up thru the rear fender, where did you buy the gromet/plug? how much money?

Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 PM
sprnt96
Cruiser

you buy the cover from the dealer..was only a couple bucks

Old 06-10-2014, 10:37 PM
bsnilloc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried it. Antenna reception was directly affected by how/where I was sitting on the bike and seemed to be really poor for me. I just took the antenna off, capped the hole and use my phone for pandora/sirius/itunes.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:45 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
Default boom antenna.

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ
Curious if you decided later to go the BOOM antenna route if the reception would be an improvement or not.

What about the gromet for the hole where the antenna came up thru the rear fender, where did you buy the gromet/plug? how much money?
I upgraded my stereo to the boom system with the hidden antenna GPS and added the Sirius satellite radio. If it wasn't for the xm I'd probably scrap the whole damn bike the reception is so bad with the hidden antenna. Its like having am radio with a bad reception. Dealership says harley is coming out with a "update" for the boom radio to come in better but time will tell. So I rock the xm for now.

Batman.

Quick Reply: BOOM antenna or reposition stock antenna for street Glide?