Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novelty Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:25 PM
BuzzL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Novelty Helmets

How many of you that wear Novelty helmets have been pulled over and ticketed for not wearing a DOT helmet?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:39 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

If you have a ticket on your hands, contact your local chapter of ABATE.
They can give you the best advice on fighting a ticket, based on your State Regs and enforcement.
In short, FMVSS218 does not clearly mandate testing or consumer labeling for "helmets".

The consumer cannot be assured that what they buy "in good faith" is a compliant helmet blah blah blah legalize, police officers are similarly not qualified to judge which helmet type things comply- or don't.
Or in most cases are prosecutors or judges.

I am 5-0 vs State of California.

In some States a helmet is a secondary violation, meaning they can't pull you over just for that- in most States it is a "primary" which means they can stop you if they think the helmet is suspect...and further hassle you, delay you etc. This is why you keep your papers in the wallet, do not open the saddlebags- that turns into "probable cause" if they "think" they see a weapon or burglary tool...a knife or screwdriver

If you are shopping- if you are going to wear something on your head, you might as well just find something compliant that may give better protection in a wreck. And keep you from being stopped for no reason.

I choose to ride without unless in hail or in hostile territory- in which case i use a HD branded 1/2 with a ducktail on the back. it's the only helmet which doesn't pull up on the chinstrap or bobble. Fits in the saddlebag ( now that I carry my papers in my wallet.)

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-09-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:13 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,892 Likes on 823 Posts

I've got a carbon fiber novelty polo that I've worn plenty around LEOs, and they've never had an issue with it...

Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzL
How many of you that wear Novelty helmets have been pulled over and ticketed for not wearing a DOT helmet?
I wear a Skull Crush helmet which is a Carbon Fiber (no DOT sticker) and in Missouri DOT helmets are required. I have not been stopped for it........but may get an add-on if I ever get stopped for something else. Alot like the seat belt violations.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:34 PM
hAkron
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you HAVE to wear a helmet by law, might as well wear something that's going to protect your noggin though, right? I disagree with helmet laws whole heartedly.

Lucky for me I'm in a state that allows me to choose. So sometimes I choose to wear one, sometimes I don't, but it's my choice either way.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 PM
TheLazyC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered some DOT stickers off eBay for $1. But, I think you can fight a ticket because the courts have to prove the helmet does not meet the DOT standards and do you think they are going to do that?

I wear a DOT half helmet anyway, but do have a novelty helmet as a backup. A neighboring state requires the DOT to be under the clear coat, but my HD half helmet is just a sticker on the outside.

How is a police officer an expert authority on if your helmet meets DOT standards? Get a sticker.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 AM
deepbluerider
Advanced

Yes I was pulled over and cited for loud pipes and no helmet ( I had on a novelty helmet). Bought a DOT half helmet, had my brother inlaw write off the loud pipe fix-it he's LEO, and paid a twenty five dollar fine. Still wear the novelty helmet and no problems in about three years.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 AM
HDsportster99
Tourer

Years ago, my dad purchased a novelty helmet & got pulled over.. Turned to Ebay, purchased a sticker that said DOT and hasn't had a problem since

Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

i have 5 or 6 helmets and wear my novelty helmet all the time. there are some cops that will screw with you over them,but why bother? they enabled the helmet here in missouri in 68 or 69 and iv'e been wearing one ever since, that's why we head to Illinois all the time. lost revenue for the state of missouri. helmet laws suck!

Last edited by hardheaded; 06-10-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Never had a problem wearing a so-called "novelty" helmet.

Quick Reply: Novelty Helmets