Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Officially changed clubs, not on purpose!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:28 PM
nichiowa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Officially changed clubs, not on purpose!

So when I first started riding about 5 years ago I was told there are two kinds of riders, the ones that have laid their bikes down and the ones that will. I have officially became a member of the one's who have. Luckily it was a low speed turn with a high center of gravity (two-up) and tipped it over pulling in to a parking spot. Got the bike right back up on two wheels and pulled into the parking spot. Luckily NO damage and no one was injured, I'm going to try and make sure that it never happens again.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Double_J1024
Intermediate

Welcome to the club. My "initiation" happened when I was taking a right hand turn and the rear tire hit some sand. The back end got away from me and I went down, still holding the clutch and front brake. My right foot caught me before the bike laid down on me but it HURT for a few days. I was able to stand it back up and go along my way with nothing hurt but my pride.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:16 PM
roost812
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup I'm a proud member, twice over. Both at a snail pace, however, same result. Thank God for the engine guards, just small scuffs at the 90 deg. angle. The only way to see them is if your on your knees. Some guys speak about removing the guards, based on my experiences, it will be a costly mistake...

Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 PM
ses
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't hit sand but about 10 yrs ago I (two up) was riding and entering into a right hand entrance onto the freeway. As I hit the ramp there was a diesel fuel spill right in my lane, next thing I know the bike was sliding down the road and as I watched it caught traction and flipped over on the opposite side! The lesson learned was always watch the ramps near truck stops and never pickup the bike before checking on your significant other!! That part is still brought up but my defense was I saw her getting up off the road so she couldn't be hurt to bad... She's a good woman!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:31 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by roost812
Yup I'm a proud member, twice over. Both at a snail pace, however, same result. Thank God for the engine guards, just small scuffs at the 90 deg. angle. The only way to see them is if your on your knees. Some guys speak about removing the guards, based on my experiences, it will be a costly mistake...
The guards will always get scuffs. Just the impact from 900 lbs. touching the pavement will do that.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:18 PM
hAkron
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, I thought you meant you crashed. I've dropped every bike I've ever had at lest twice (other then my street glide, but I've only had it less than 2 months).

Old 06-08-2014, 08:53 PM
nichiowa
Tourer

Originally Posted by hAkron
Oh, I thought you meant you crashed. I've dropped every bike I've ever had at lest twice (other then my street glide, but I've only had it less than 2 months).
Nope, no crash but the adrenaline went through the roof and I was worried that the wife got hurt when she hopped off. I am not glad that it happened, but at least I know that the bag guards work. haha.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:17 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Psssh, you could've had my weekend. Long story short a friend of mine went to make a left I wasn't expecting while I was distracted keeping tabs on a group we had never ridden with that we're making us nervous. Did everything I could hammered the brakes, was too close, threw the bike hard left and we still collided. Don't know how I didn't go down, thought my bro was gonna be okay too then I heard the sound of a bike sliding behind me. His 2013 CVO ultra limited anniversary edition and my 13 FLHX are both in the shop now waiting on damage estimates. We rode them to the shop thankfully we weren't hurt.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 AM
nichiowa
Tourer

Originally Posted by bettingpython
Psssh, you could've had my weekend. Long story short a friend of mine went to make a left I wasn't expecting while I was distracted keeping tabs on a group we had never ridden with that we're making us nervous. Did everything I could hammered the brakes, was too close, threw the bike hard left and we still collided. Don't know how I didn't go down, thought my bro was gonna be okay too then I heard the sound of a bike sliding behind me. His 2013 CVO ultra limited anniversary edition and my 13 FLHX are both in the shop now waiting on damage estimates. We rode them to the shop thankfully we weren't hurt.
Touche'

I definitely feel blessed after hearing that, hope everyone is ok.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Everyone drops them, Brother.

Those who say they haven't are either A. Brand new riders, and their scoot has 11 miles, looking pretty in the garage. or B... full of ****.

I've dropped more than I care to count... my first was doing a wheelie in a fresh plowed farm field on about a 1973 250 'zuki..... right off the back of the seat on my ***. My last, on Little Shepherds Trail between Cumberland, KY and Whitesburg, KY, one lane slow trip, if 2 cars meet, one has to back up, tight left curve, met a car head on, I all but stopped, and had my bars turned left, the OL and I stepped off as I dropped my '11 FLTRU on it's side.

My '14 hasn't been down.

Yet.

But I am quite sure it will....

Quick Reply: Officially changed clubs, not on purpose!