Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More info please....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:36 PM
412driver
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More info please....

Hey all,

My 07 UC is to be delivered in May. The waiting is killing me!![:@]

I have been reading the threads on break-in of the engine. I fly for a living and a couple of years ago I picked up a piston powered helicopter from the factory in New York to fly across the country. I went to the "engine" guy at the factory and asked him how I should run the engine and he said "wide open" all the way home. So I did. I'll tell you what, compared to the helicopters my boss flew home (he babied them), mine burnedALOT less oil and had a little more lifting power......................

So what I am asking for is a little more than the "ride it like you stole it" responses. Those of you that have broken in your engines by running hard right out of the gate, may I ask for detailed information as to how? The way I see it, the rings are pretty much set in the first 50 miles. I will ride that in the distance home from the dealer so I want to do it right. If you disagree with this method, I welcome your responses as well, just explain why.

I'm 44, I've had a number of other bikesand now finally buying my dream bike, I wanna do it right! Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: More info please....

When I've built race engines for drag strips, its get them up to temp at idle for 20 mins check for leaks. Shut down check all the fluids, then start up take out to burn out pits. Then run the **** out of it.

I think if you vary the rpm's and keep it from lugging it will be just fine. I totally agree with your helo experiance as well. I've had over 20 yrs aviation, all turbo-shaft though!

Don't worry to much about the break-in, your also right about the first 50 miles. I'm sure the rings have seated from the dealer prep test ride.

Enjoy your new ride.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:40 AM
412driver
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for that. makes sense........

anyone know what the dealer prep test ride entails?

oh, one other point, we flew the factory new helicopters on synthetic oil for the first 50 hours then switched to regular oil.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This ought to cover it;
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Babying it is a practice for old world engines, that had very loose tollerances when built. Engines these days are built to very close, exact tollerances and therefore ring seating is pretty much done at the factory. I'll assume that HD puts every bike on a dyno after assembly to be sure the bike works, I know Honda does as I've seen their plant during business hours. When they have the bike on the dyno, they should take it up to the top gear and back down again. Honda took their bikes up to @ 80mph while doing this.