Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hit the Trifecta with Bad HD Quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014 | 09:28 AM
blueglide88
|
Tourer
Default I hit the Trifecta with Bad HD Quality

I bought a 2011 FLHP brand new because I figured my 1988 FLHS is getting a bit long in the tooth with 200k on it. As it turns out, my old bike is still the most reliable bike I've ever owned.

Last fall I had the compensator changed to the new 2014 style. Pissed me off because there is no reason for them to go bad. My 1988 still has the original on not a problem.

Then just before last week's trip around Lake Michigan I changed the lifters because they were noisy. At 24k there is no reason for lifters to go bad unless the quality sucks. The old bike has 60k on a factory rebuild and the lifters are still quiet.

Then on vacation my front wheel bearings went bad. Pulled into a dealer and had them changed. Again, sealed bearings should not go bad in 24k. I'm betting the double row bearings HD used to use in early Twin Cams are much less prone to failure. I will admit I've had failures with front wheel bearings on the old bike until I figured out just how important endplay is.

Seems to me HD is making things cheaper. They are no longer trying to build the best bikes possible. Shame on them. My old 1988 is a more reliable bike than my new one.

Old 06-07-2014 | 09:40 AM
OLDDEADEYE
Outstanding HDF Member

Sucks to be you.

Old 06-07-2014 | 10:21 AM
blueglide88
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by OLDDEADEYE
Sucks to be you.

There's always an asswipe in the crowd. Go back to the Schwinn forum where you belong. I bet you look really cool on a Stingray.

Old 06-07-2014 | 10:22 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

Perhaps the engineering focus went to how to do it cheaper, not better?

Others may chime in on design changes with the cranks, and the internal bearings and such over the last 12 years or so.

Thus far, ( on my 2nd HD bike) I have not had engine issues, though I changed my lifters out on my flhrkc when the TW222 cams went in ( Feuling ). I have not had the compensator issue....yet.

For what the cost of the bikes are, one would think that the MoCo would actually strive to engineer machines for long duty survival, and use the BEST parts- bearings, compensator design, and lifters and etc. I could be wrong in my thinking too.

Old 06-07-2014 | 10:47 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

My 07 was a PITA bike, really, but I stuck with it and pretty much have not had any issues for the last 20k miles. I do think the MotorCo does put an emphasis on cost reduction these days when I don't think they are saving all that much per bike at the cost of quality.

Old 06-07-2014 | 11:40 AM
bundy43
Road Captain

2012 here,compensator replaced at 5000 miles under warranty,front wheal bearing failed at 8500 miles.

Old 06-07-2014 | 12:13 PM
12limited
Tourer
Default so true...

Originally Posted by FX4
My 07 was a PITA bike, really, but I stuck with it and pretty much have not had any issues for the last 20k miles. I do think the MotorCo does put an emphasis on cost reduction these days when I don't think they are saving all that much per bike at the cost of quality.
I totally agree.
I got a 12 that is on its 3rd engine at a little 34000 miles. Luckily i have had no real big out of pocket cost, and never been stranded on side of the road. PITA leaving at the dealer for months at a time especially during riding season. I need to get it to the dealer now but hate to do it during peak riding season.

My opinion...they are betting on the bikes sitting in the garage as jewelry, instead of riding them for days straight touring the country side.
Most folks I know have bikes with 5-10K miles on them at most. First year I put over 20K on it...

There are some that hold up to constant riding and high mileage, but I think if I had it to do over, I would trade at least every two years.
I got a lot of money in this bike to get it like I want it...and would surely loose my $ss if I traded now. I love this bike but had hell with the 103 engine.

First engine, they said burnt up at 5000 miles...due to lean condition and stock cats. Also they said the rod ends were egg shapped??? One trip to the smoky mts 30-45 MPH in the curvys done it in. Oil looked like diesel oil...and engine rattled like a diesel. I thought sure you could ride it off the show room floor and go any where it would take you. 2nd one I paid 1700 to dyno it and add some stuff to cool it down...it lasted about 25K...started knocking..they said the crank bushings were worn out...back cylinder 30% compression than front. Why??? They blamed Amsoil 20-50 Sync on this one, said I was trying to run the oil in extended oil changed by changing it at 5000 miles. What does the book say?? 5000 mile oil change! They dropped in a short block and rebuild the rest. Got me using dino HD 20-50 now changing oil every 2500 miles. This one is puking oil out the air filter now after about 3K...

I think tolerances (quality assurance) and quality of materials has greatly decreased over the years on the engines, primary and gear boxes.
As long as folks are buying them, they gonna keep making them.

I have plans when I get my house paid off..(in about 2 years)...buy a new one bike every 1-2 years and put nothing on it that does not come from factory...but maybe a back rest. Can't afford it now...so I am gonna ride what I got...oil puking and just carry rags with me.

Old 06-07-2014 | 12:25 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by OLDDEADEYE
Sucks to be you.

I don't think that was called for ... He wasn't pissing and moaning ... Simply pointing out some facts !

Old 06-07-2014 | 12:32 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I don't think that was called for ... He wasn't pissing and moaning ... Simply pointing out some facts !
Most of us on this forum know this information though.
That is why we are on here?
To stay edgumacated. LOLOL.

Old 06-07-2014 | 12:49 PM
rmc115
Road Master

They answer only to the shareholders (make more profit) and bearings have suffered on a lot of vehicles since most are sourced from China and Korea now. I have done many bearings on high end German cars as new as 2012 models. Mike

Quick Reply: I hit the Trifecta with Bad HD Quality