Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hit the Trifecta with Bad HD Quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014 | 06:36 PM
highmarket
Cruiser

Originally Posted by blueglide88
I bought a 2011 FLHP brand new because I figured my 1988 FLHS is getting a bit long in the tooth with 200k on it. As it turns out, my old bike is still the most reliable bike I've ever owned.

Last fall I had the compensator changed to the new 2014 style. Pissed me off because there is no reason for them to go bad. My 1988 still has the original on not a problem.

Then just before last week's trip around Lake Michigan I changed the lifters because they were noisy. At 24k there is no reason for lifters to go bad unless the quality sucks. The old bike has 60k on a factory rebuild and the lifters are still quiet.

Then on vacation my front wheel bearings went bad. Pulled into a dealer and had them changed. Again, sealed bearings should not go bad in 24k. I'm betting the double row bearings HD used to use in early Twin Cams are much less prone to failure. I will admit I've had failures with front wheel bearings on the old bike until I figured out just how important endplay is.

Seems to me HD is making things cheaper. They are no longer trying to build the best bikes possible. Shame on them. My old 1988 is a more reliable bike than my new one.
The fact of the Mather is we all keep buying them because they are so cool and we spend the big $ for all the new upgrade each year, so why should they spend any $ for reliability ? they just spend $ in making they cooler each year. icing on the cake ! it may bite them in long term but not now.

Old 06-07-2014 | 07:22 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

I have my bike to where I wouldn't have any fear of riding across the US, there is no way I would do that on a new one, inferior designs on comps, eating primary bearings, and wheel bearings, AND the difference that I would have to spend in a trade would be a big no. I will probably keep this one, and rebuild it until I can no longer rebuild it.
I heard an owner of a HD store say that HD doesn't build bikes to last anymore, because people keep buying them with the bad quality that they are putting out now, so why would they when they can make a good profit as it is.

Old 06-07-2014 | 08:03 PM
BigTwins
Cruiser

Holy **** what a depressing thread...Is there no such thing as a dependable, medium to high milage 09-up 103 out there that has been relatively trouble free? Do the vast majority of people not ride their bikes more than a couple of thousand miles a year? Is HD just one huge scam? Or is this another case of the Forum pissed off vocal minority. WTF.... I would sure love to know the truth. Sometimes I hate even reading this forum...But for some reason, it's addicting to read all the doomsday posts. I'm in no way delegitimizing anyones personal experience, but, if all the crap on here is the norm and not the exception, I guess only an idiot or someone with unlimited funds would keep the bike.

Old 06-07-2014 | 08:11 PM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by blueglide88
There's always an asswipe in the crowd. Go back to the Schwinn forum where you belong. I bet you look really cool on a Stingray.
A degrading comment serves no purpose on this or any other forum...the comment is of no value, speaks little for the individual that renders it.

Old 06-07-2014 | 08:17 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigTwins
Holy **** what a depressing thread...Is there no such thing as a dependable, medium to high milage 09-up 103 out there that has been relatively trouble free? Do the vast majority of people not ride their bikes more than a couple of thousand miles a year? Is HD just one huge scam? Or is this another case of the Forum pissed off vocal minority. WTF.... I would sure love to know the truth. Sometimes I hate even reading this forum...But for some reason, it's addicting to read all the doomsday posts. I'm in no way delegitimizing anyones personal experience, but, if all the crap on here is the norm and not the exception, I guess only an idiot or someone with unlimited funds would keep the bike.
Everyone has thier own reality. HD is the best brand I've ever owned. Unfortunately, it's not the best motorcycle I've ever owned. If reliability and economy are what riders are after, the Japanese make the best bike. That's my reality after almost 40 years of riding. Still love the Harley though.

Last edited by ZenGlide; 06-07-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2014 | 08:17 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Cool

Originally Posted by banjoplayer2
Its starting to sound like the AMF years!

Now, where did I put that bowling bag with my tools in it?

Oh no - my last Harley was a 77 super glide. It took me 35 yrs to try Harley again! So far I am enjoying my new to me 2010 ultra classic with a 103 stage II in it.

Old 06-07-2014 | 08:54 PM
dochawken
Road Master

Lol...now that was humorous! I remember those terrible years well! Well done!

Old 06-07-2014 | 08:55 PM
shredder22
Road Captain

I agree that is does get depressing reading about the lack of quality now. I have an 09 RKC that has been good to me so far and have considered moving up to the new designs but am scared ****less of just buying into problems that I do not have now.

Old 06-07-2014 | 09:20 PM
Thickraybans
Cruiser

Four of my friends have bought new Harleys in the last two years. All of them have had major component failures with less than 10,000 miles on them. Three of them have traded to other brands and swear they will never return to H.D. I was just thinking it reminds me a lot of the dark years.

Old 06-07-2014 | 11:36 PM
kiwiharleyrider54
Advanced

06 FLH 140000+ only replaced Clutch and Stator
09 FLHRC 80000+only Front Wheel Bearings and Compensator
2013 FLHTC 20000 in 22 weeks one clutch bearing at first service
This all equals 8 years of HD pleasure and over 240000 miles Touring all over the world with very little trouble and lots of reliable miles and fun times on the road.
Just My Thoughts LOL

Quick Reply: I hit the Trifecta with Bad HD Quality