Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK Premium Breather Kit install with pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:32 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DK Premium Breather Kit install with pics

When I got my bike dynoed my tuner said that my bike would be happier if I didn't route the breather gases back into the motor and I am getting tired of wiping oil up from my cam chest. I went with DK's Premium breather system. $47 or so. It came with every thing I needed, but after doing some reading here, I made one change. DK sends a El Cheapo plastic tee. I went to O'Reilly's and bought a nice brass tee. If you go that way, you have to buy 3 extra hose clamps. DK doesn't provide hose clamps for the plastic tee. They say that the connection is tight enough that you won't need them. You'll need 7 hose clamps if you buy your own metal tee. DK sends you 4 with the kit.

Installation was pretty simple. I removed the football, air filter, the Fuel Moto backing plate, curved OEM breather hoses and the breather bolts.

Started the install by installing the chrome banjo breather bolts that DK provides. They're really nice looking. Routed the hose out the front of the motor down next to the oil pressure sender. DK provides about 6' of hose, I suppose you could route it out the back of the bike but I couldn't figure out a way to route it so that it safely stayed away from the back exhaust. Anyway, I chose to route it out the front.

The first picture shows the hose routed.

The second picture shows the really nice chrome banjo bolt that DK sends with the kit.

The third picture shows the kit with the Fuel Moto backing plate installed. As you can see, I blocked the holes for the small curved OEM breather hoses in the backing plate with some wide headed bolts. Under the bolt heads I've got some high temp RTV to make sure there is no unfiltered air getting in.

Fouth pic shows the air filter installed, and the fifth shows the install complete with the football back on. The football cover really blocks all the hoses, all you can see is the down run next to the push rod cover.

All in all, it's a pretty well done kit, and a simple install. I'll put some miles on this weekend and see how it goes.

David

Attached Thumbnails DK Premium Breather Kit install with pics-20140606_182335.jpg   DK Premium Breather Kit install with pics-20140606_182523.jpg   DK Premium Breather Kit install with pics-20140606_184000.jpg   DK Premium Breather Kit install with pics-20140606_184354.jpg   DK Premium Breather Kit install with pics-20140606_184629.jpg  

Old 06-06-2014, 08:34 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Sorry about the sideways pics. They looked straight until I posted the thread. I have no idea how to fix it. You'll just have to turn your head! :-)

Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

I was wondering why you hung it from the ceiling by the front wheel.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:23 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,230 Likes on 2,463 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
When I got my bike dynoed my tuner said that my bike would be happier if I didn't route the breather gases back into the motor and I am getting tired of wiping oil up from my cam chest. I went with DK's Premium breather system. $47 or so. It came with every thing I needed, but after doing some reading here, I made one change. DK sends a El Cheapo plastic tee. I went to O'Reilly's and bought a nice brass tee. If you go that way, you have to buy 3 extra hose clamps. DK doesn't provide hose clamps for the plastic tee. They say that the connection is tight enough that you won't need them. You'll need 7 hose clamps if you buy your own metal tee. DK sends you 4 with the kit.

Installation was pretty simple. I removed the football, air filter, the Fuel Moto backing plate, curved OEM breather hoses and the breather bolts.

Started the install by installing the chrome banjo breather bolts that DK provides. They're really nice looking. Routed the hose out the front of the motor down next to the oil pressure sender. DK provides about 6' of hose, I suppose you could route it out the back of the bike but I couldn't figure out a way to route it so that it safely stayed away from the back exhaust. Anyway, I chose to route it out the front.

The first picture shows the hose routed.

The second picture shows the really nice chrome banjo bolt that DK sends with the kit.

The third picture shows the kit with the Fuel Moto backing plate installed. As you can see, I blocked the holes for the small curved OEM breather hoses in the backing plate with some wide headed bolts. Under the bolt heads I've got some high temp RTV to make sure there is no unfiltered air getting in.

Fouth pic shows the air filter installed, and the fifth shows the install complete with the football back on. The football cover really blocks all the hoses, all you can see is the down run next to the push rod cover.

All in all, it's a pretty well done kit, and a simple install. I'll put some miles on this weekend and see how it goes.

David
Smart Tuner & Nice work on your part! Have a great ride this weekend.

The plastic T we send is a quality piece, rated to 300*. The reason we include that, along with plenty of zip ties, is so that everything is black and clean...especially for those not running the football cover.

Last week was the first time in over 20 years I've heard of anyone melting a T. They let their bikes oil temp go over 350* and they continued running the bike, and the T was leaning against the engine.

However, we are going to begin supplying a brass T with the kits, in addition to the black plastic T. That way every individual can make their choice on how they want to install.

As you can see in the pic below, no hose clamps (zip ties instead) and the black T has to be really looked for.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-07-2014, 10:11 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

I thought the plastic T and the black zip ties worked fine and looked cleaner than the hose clamps so that's what I did with mine but I like this hose routing here better than what I did.I also like the chrome banjo bolts better than my hoses making an immediate 90 degree turn off the stock breather bolts.I'm always wondering if the hoses are kinked or are going to pop off.Hey DK how about just selling me a set of the banjo bolts.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:41 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,230 Likes on 2,463 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
I thought the plastic T and the black zip ties worked fine and looked cleaner than the hose clamps so that's what I did with mine but I like this hose routing here better than what I did.I also like the chrome banjo bolts better than my hoses making an immediate 90 degree turn off the stock breather bolts.I'm always wondering if the hoses are kinked or are going to pop off.Hey DK how about just selling me a set of the banjo bolts.
Call or email the shop on Monday and Dawn or Natalie can make that happen for you.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:20 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
I understand what you're saying, and if I'd have been running a smaller air cleaner cover, I'd have done just that. But the football cover does a great job of hiding everything and I know that there's not a chinaman's chance of anything melting or coming loose. You'll like the chrome banjo breather bolts.

David

Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

can this be used on the stock air cleaner backing plate setup? maybe drill a hole at the bottom for the hose to exit at the bottom?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by hardheaded
can this be used on the stock air cleaner backing plate setup? maybe drill a hole at the bottom for the hose to exit at the bottom?
Unless I badly misunderstand you you want to run a drain from the stock airbox to the ground? Why? The whole point of the DK kit is to keep the nasty oil fumes from getting sucked into your intake at all.

David

Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This is what I did, breather was $10, I had the hose in my garage.

Attached Thumbnails DK Premium Breather Kit install with pics-breather-kit.jpg   DK Premium Breather Kit install with pics-breather-kit..jpg  

Quick Reply: DK Premium Breather Kit install with pics