Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amatuer Radio Riders with Ultra's and Antenna Mounts.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:14 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Amatuer Radio Riders with Ultra's and Antenna Mounts.

This post is for all you Ham's that have mounted a radio on your bikes. How did you mount your antenna's?
Will be picking up a 2009 Ultra this friday and would like to try and utilize the existing CB antenna mount to put a Dual Band antenna on for my FTM-350.
Do you know of any ways to do this? I'd hate to destroy the mount., is there any mount you know of that can utilize the mounting location?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:55 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

I can't help you but maybe these folks can http://www.marc-hq.org/60.store/60.htm. Although they seem more tuned into Goldwing owners, you may find something on the site of value.
BTW I've always been interested in becoming a Ham but figured it would be another one of my hobbies that I either can't really afford or simply don't have enough time to enjoy, due to all the others.

Good Luck with your project.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:14 PM
mdanehart
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with the install. Let's the see the end result!
W8MSD
Novice ..1967
Extra class 1988.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,660 Likes on 767 Posts

As an RF engineer (and an amateur radio op) I can tell you this. You'll need to mount your antenna in such a manner that your counterpoise (some will call it a ground plane) in a way that will provide at least a quarter wavelength of surface area (at your lowest frequency) immediately beneath your antenna element. Otherwise you will have all sorts of RF currents circulating on the outside of your coax. Stray RF currents at 50 watts (especially so at UHF) will most definitely get into your bikes electronics, and for sure you don't want that getting into your ECM. If you're able to use the existing CB mount just make sure you're not using the outside of the coax as your counterpoise. Be certain you're grounded to a solid quarter wavelength mass of metal within fractions of an inch below your antenna.
The best solution would be to use a sleeve dipole like they use on marine VHF antennas to overcome the lack of metal as with fiberglass boats. Unfortunately you'll need two antennas and a diplexer as the don't make dual band sleeve dipoles in this case. http://www.repeater-builder.com/ante...ial-dipole.pdf Good luck with the install.

Last edited by Ride my Seesaw; 06-04-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:11 PM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

this isn't my first install..lol I had a Diamond hatchback mount on the tour pak on the old bike..but.. this one is quite a bit newer..so I can't go hacking away at the fiberglass..( the GF woudn't like that)

I'm looking at using a 1/2 wave dual band so I won't have to worry about a ground plane. Am just hoping someone else has tried using the cb mount to mount an amateur antenna..

Last edited by kyote; 06-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:12 PM
iann8ik
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an old thread but maybe some hams are watching. I installed the MoCo's AM/FM/WB dipole in the fairing of my 2014 Ultra to free up the trunk mount. Sierra Electronics sells a 6mm adapter so you can use a common 3/8-24 ham antenna on the stud. The problem is the connector inside the tourpak - it's a male RCA/phono jack and a fairly loose one at that! Marginally suitable for a receiving antenna; not good for a transmitting antenna. For those with an electronics background that's going to present a problematic "impedance bump". Any ideas or links for a mount or adapter that uses a SO-239 or SMA connector?