Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's extended their riders floorboards without issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:04 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have them and I scrape. Each time, the pucker factor lessens. Also, the brackets are wearing down so I don't seem to scrape as much.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

I have no extensions, I don't ride like I'm still on my Gixxer, I'm not a fast rider, but I'm a fairly hard leaner---and I scrape. It doesn't bother me tho. I'm installing my stretched bags tomorrow and I will do a test to see that my boards still scrape first if I lean hard----I'm hoping they do---if not, I'll just not lean so hard anymore ....BTW, I only scrape on the quick lean, nearly 90 degree turns.

But I'm thinking about the harley goodies because I haven't found one guy say anything bad about them.

The following users liked this post:
boomerdude (08-24-2016)
Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Have 1" on my RK and only scrape on rare occasions.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 AM
frankiefire702
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine extended 1" out on my street glide. Scrape every once and a while.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

Not me. I scrape them from time to time but you learn to take it a little easier. This may actually help me ride safer as I used to love to lay over my bikes in corners. No I slow down a little and like the wide floors over higher cornering speed.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadking53
I bought the Kury ones and dont like the position it put me in. Going back to Harley goodies like I've had on last 3 bikes. Love their position and zero problems scraping. Goodies just come out an inch whereas the Kurys spit you out an inch and forward an inch. Drives me nuts with my brake peddle
Not that you'll buy them now but fwiw Kury sells spacers that move you out 3/4"....not forward. I have them.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:27 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sfcmo357
I have no extensions, I don't ride like I'm still on my Gixxer, I'm not a fast rider, but I'm a fairly hard leaner---and I scrape. It doesn't bother me tho. I'm installing my stretched bags tomorrow and I will do a test to see that my boards still scrape first if I lean hard----I'm hoping they do---if not, I'll just not lean so hard anymore ....BTW, I only scrape on the quick lean, nearly 90 degree turns.

But I'm thinking about the harley goodies because I haven't found one guy say anything bad about them.
my 2 cents... you will scrape...
get an airride - I built one myself (the monroe version - about 250 usd total; fun project).
a. better ride than stock
b. can push up and over Ultra height in the back (got 4.5" stretched BadDad's and was close to scraping sometimes according my brother behind me).
Now there is no way...

also running extensions (1 inch; ebay - 35 or so bucks) - no scraping but I am a tourer not a racer (did scrape the Fatboy several times, but that one is lowered in the back as well)

Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Bought the 1" extenders and really like them. No problems (been on bike for over five years).

Old 06-04-2014, 12:07 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to see how it goes..I will have protection under the bag--not metal..something most local guys are using that works really good. It sticks on with 3M tape and doesn't loosen up or come off.....it's a strip of some sort--like a rubber--but much harder. It gives a little, but not enough to touch the paint. Can be peeled off and replaced once it gets scraped up. The guys here, place it along the outside of the entire outer edge of the bag and they luv it. Not sure what it is....but my painter recommends it and has most successfully using it.

I ride behind guys and I'm nearly about to scream at them cuz it looks like their bag is gonna scrape---but it never does and they have 4 1/2 inch strethed bags too. It's all so confusing lol
Originally Posted by AAWAV
my 2 cents... you will scrape...
get an airride - I built one myself (the monroe version - about 250 usd total; fun project).
a. better ride than stock
b. can push up and over Ultra height in the back (got 4.5" stretched BadDad's and was close to scraping sometimes according my brother behind me).
Now there is no way...

also running extensions (1 inch; ebay - 35 or so bucks) - no scraping but I am a tourer not a racer (did scrape the Fatboy several times, but that one is lowered in the back as well)

Old 06-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
If you use any kind of bolt on extension kit it's going to affect the lean angle.
Not a big deal but you may scrape more. You get used to it.

Crazy that even in stock form the brackets hit before the footboard... Why the footboard even has a pivot on it is beyond me.

lp
That's the thing that worries me - hitting the bracket. I had the board fold up a little before I added 1" extensions, now the bracket hits. It's usually only when doing tight turns, like a U-turn, but every once and a while I'll touch on a sweeping turn. I'm afraid it'll jack up the bike and make me run wide on the corner. Joe

Quick Reply: Who's extended their riders floorboards without issue?