Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to help a friend - stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts
Default trying to help a friend - stock exhaust

Good friend bought a SG last year and he is running the stock exhaust but he wants it too be louder. Guy works 10+ hours a day 6 days a week supporting 3 kids and a wife and doesn't have spare money for exhaust.

He wants me to help him de-cat and drill out baffles in his stock system.. First, i know how to de-cat a pipe but what about the baffles... never heard of this being done, is it possible and what does it sound like?

Any info would be appreciated.

OS

Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Usually the result of removing the baffles is lack of power and the sound is less than desirable. Now removing just the CAT will give him a little more rumble, this is what I did. My baffles and stock mufflers are still intact. I would suggest trying the CAT removal first and see how he likes that.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally agree with KCFLHRC try a de-cat it will give you a bit more rumble. It is not necessarily a good idea to remove your baffles from the stock mufflers due to lack of back pressure. As far a good cheap mufflers go, If it can be budgeted, tell him to look into Klock Super Savers delivered to his door for $305.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:36 AM
WILDWOOD_1124
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

^ Wilwood, thanks for the link...
This will be our little project this weekend. Looks simple and the bikes sound pretty good.

OS

Old 06-03-2014, 10:06 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

You can also simply use an 1 1/4 inch hole saw and just drill out the plug. I am the last post in this thread, with pictures. 10 bucks. You dont have to completely gut the muffler if you dont want to.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...k-pipes-2.html

Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
You can also simply use an 1 1/4 inch hole saw and just drill out the plug. I am the last post in this thread, with pictures. 10 bucks. You dont have to completely gut the muffler if you dont want to.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...k-pipes-2.html
Thank you for the post.. I think we are going to pull the entire baffle, he is nervous about tearing into his new bike so he brought it over to my house for help. If it turns out to run or sound like garbage I told him I would buy him a cheap set of a slip on's.
I have a spare set of Xied's laying around the shop so hopefully this with the baffles removed wont hurt performance.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd shop for some slip ons lots of places check out the list of sponsors on the right side of the page

Old 06-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

^ he doesn't have money for slip'ons thus why were are going for baffle removal.
In a perfect world a set of pipes with header but that's not in his budget.

Man has his priorities in the right place, kids and wife come first, bike second. Just trying to give a friend some help.

OS

Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

We dug into this a little bit last night and drilling out the baffles with a 3" hole saw was painless. Took about 5 mins each side.

The left baffle comes out quick, the right side is a bit more of a bitch as the baffle is shaped differently and the inside of the pipe need to be ground smooth prior to the baffle sliding out.

Need to pickup another little grinding wheel for my die grinder tonight and the job will be finished in about 20 mins.

The hardest part is removing the screens and the packing... in a new pipe this would slide out easily but this bike has about 7k on it so there is some carbon build up to fight.

All in all, very simple mod.. I will post up a couple pics and sound clip when we are done.

OS

Quick Reply: trying to help a friend - stock exhaust