Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding a Road King without the shield...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014 | 09:56 PM
houstonhdguy
|
Road Warrior
Default Riding a Road King without the shield...

Just got back from an hour ride on the King. Some highway, some in town and some on country roads. Took the shield of to try a little different experience.

I know a lot of those with a King like riding without the shield, but for me...it's so much better with the shield. It's going back on after I wipe it down and give it a good cleaning.

Just me? Lol

Old 06-02-2014 | 10:34 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior

Around town I will putz around without the windshield. If I'm going to be for more than a few hours (or a weekend trip), I'll definitely put it on.

Old 06-02-2014 | 10:49 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

Such a personal preference.... I HATE riding with the windshield. Drives me nuts. I took mine off as soon as I got it home from the dealer and its only been back on once. I let myself get talked into trying it out on a 4 day trip... I found it so distracting and annoying i literally almost threw it in a dumpster after the first day. Looks like crap on the bike, blocks my vision, distracts me and the lack of wind in my face reminds me of driving in a car... I get that you might prefer it and thats cool but for me its just not a motorcycle if its got a windshield.

Old 06-02-2014 | 10:51 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DresserDude
Around town I will putz around without the windshield. If I'm going to be for more than a few hours (or a weekend trip), I'll definitely put it on.
Same here. Around town or short freeway rides are ok like the morning commute. Anything longer on the freeway and I need to throw in some earplugs as the noise with my half helmet is too much. Also, with the shield off the rider backrest goes on as without it I feel like I could be blown off the back of the bike...

Old 06-02-2014 | 11:41 PM
Groucho1
Tourer
Default Yep...

When I first got the King I thought I might want it off 1/2 the time or more. I haven't had it off more than twice in 14,000 miles.

Old 06-02-2014 | 11:43 PM
roost812
Tourer

My steed is an '08 RKC and I ride with the shield all the time. It took awhile to get used to the look of my steed with it on but comfort won out. I tried riding without it and the wind blast was to much. Getting beat up and peppered with debris was enough to convince me that the shield was the ticket ( Lol ) besides the sound of my pipes is music to my ears...so go a head and slap the shield on and enjoy the ride my friend..

Old 06-03-2014 | 12:33 AM
Recycled
Road Captain

Springtime around town, its off. Highway miles, its on.

Old 06-03-2014 | 01:03 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

My windshield is off about half the year. Soon as the temps are up where i'm not freezing without it then the windshield goes up on a shelf and pretty much stays there for 5 or 6 months.

I enjoy riding without it. For those who've never taken it off or only tried it briefly and found it overwhelming, I would suggest you try taking it off for a few days - give it a chance, don't quit too soon. I remember the first time I took mine off I was overwhelmed by the wind once I got over 55-60 mph. I couldn't imagine how guys rode like that! BUT... I went ahead and kept of off and "toughed it out" for another couple days and all of a sudden I realized I didn't even notice the wind at all, even at 80mph on the freeway. I guess I just got accustomed to it and to this day it's never bothered me at all. I really enjoy the glassy-smooth ride without it and there's no buffeting at all for those who find buffeting an annoyance (windshields cause buffeting).

Now with a half-helmet you'll need ear plugs due to wind noise. I wear a FF Shoei almost exclusively anymore and with this I am perfectly comfortable and have no issues with wind noise, plus the helmet ventilates very well with the vents open. Occasionally I wear a 3/4 Shoei and this is fine also as far as wind noise.

Give it a chance is my point. If you're curious to try it for the first time without a windshield just realize you'll probably feel its overwhelming initially if you've never ridden like this before - you'll hurry home and put it right back on and swear it's a nightmare. Well, I had the same reaction but after the initial shock of it I no longer even notice it even at high speeds. It's exhilerating and changes the entire experience of riding.

Old 06-03-2014 | 01:12 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

Like crf ,i hate looking throught the shield,but if im goin more than 50 miles,it's on. I got an LRS recurve shield so i can lookk over.., and to boot i keep my fork mounted wind deflectors in my bag for esay high speed cruising.

Old 06-03-2014 | 05:34 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

Around town or short rides I like to cruise with the shield off in the warmer months. At highway speeds, those hurricane force winds kinda beat me up after awhile of riding, so it goes on when I ride mostly highway, as well as in the winter months.

Quick Reply: Riding a Road King without the shield...