Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding a Road King without the shield...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014 | 01:08 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Shorts rides above 90* is the only time mine comes off.

Old 06-03-2014 | 01:27 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain

When the weather gets into the 60's then mine comes off until it gets back down below 60 for the most part. I prefer the wind in my face most of the time and that was the main reason I bought a RK for the versatility. I like the fact that it really extends my riding season into the winter and every once in a while I'll put it on if there is a good chance of rain, yes my bike sees rain. I noticed from bike pics in the signatures that a lot of the guys that don't like riding without the shield are also running stock bars. I found it is much easier to hang onto apes without a windshield than the stock bars since I always feel hunched over the tank with stock bars.

Old 06-03-2014 | 01:33 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

When I bought my Heritage, I thought that being able to quickly remove the windshield would be great. Have only gone without it a couple of times. It is just better with it on.

Old 06-03-2014 | 02:11 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I really like short rides with the shield off, but hate riding high speeds with it off. But the fact we can even HAVE this discussion is just further proof that the Road King is the true KING of the touring bikes. Just having the option makes me love my bike even more.

I wound up cutting my shield down to 15.5 inches and its a really nice compromise for the hyway and cold weather days.

Old 06-03-2014 | 03:15 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Thumbs up More is More

I run with the shield on most the time. I do like leaving it off when I know I'll be staying local or on the back roads. It only takes one bumble bee to change my mind so I seriously consider my FF helmet when the shield is off unless it's real hot out.

In addition to that I have 3 shields (2 from HDF classifieds). Stock 20" a 17" I cut down and a 22" that goes well with my (high ride'n) police seat.

I'm now looking for the new style with the mail slot just for kicks.

Love having choices. It's Good To Be King !!
SC

Old 06-03-2014 | 03:32 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

1/2 & 1/2 here. Used to be rare it was on but now I"ve got a speaker on it and the music is cool on long rides.

Old 06-03-2014 | 03:37 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

For me, it was about my ears. Very painful for me without the shield. When I had a Road King I would forego the shield for local hops, but wear custom fit ear plugs. But no way I could ride 75mph for hours without a shield.

Old 06-03-2014 | 06:21 PM
tonetls
Tourer

Originally Posted by CRF
Such a personal preference.... I HATE riding with the windshield. Drives me nuts. I took mine off as soon as I got it home from the dealer and its only been back on once. I let myself get talked into trying it out on a 4 day trip... I found it so distracting and annoying i literally almost threw it in a dumpster after the first day. Looks like crap on the bike, blocks my vision, distracts me and the lack of wind in my face reminds me of driving in a car... I get that you might prefer it and thats cool but for me its just not a motorcycle if its got a windshield.
I agree 100%.......I love the wind in my face plus it looks 'bad-***' without a shield

Old 06-03-2014 | 07:18 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Over 75 deg on day rides mine is off, I love it. 2 day trips or more and on the freeways it's on. Great to have the option.

Old 06-03-2014 | 08:48 PM
dr_jay
Intermediate
Default Shield

I used to ride with the shield off in the summer (for the air conditioning), but frankly, I just don't enjoy riding without the shield. And the backrest. I finally decided that when I have both on, it feels like a cockpit (and there's still plenty of air). But most of my riding is 70mph on the interstate (to work), and I just feel too beat up and tense when I don't use the shield (and backrest). Also, I know the RK looks better with the shield off, but I think it looks pretty good with it on, too. And all in all, I just don't care. Life is great behind the shield.

Jay

Quick Reply: Riding a Road King without the shield...